BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have to say as a new member what a great informative site with like minded enthusiasts,
So interesting to read and view individual effort and results put into their cars.

To get to the point, I have one or two items I would like to code out or off and equally, a couple I would like on.
I have recently been to a local Indy service centre that stated they could code for me and remaining polite,
Whilst able to code my mirrors folding upon locking they couldn't find where to code other bits and bobs.

If any local enthusiast can help me that would be great, more than happy to pay but don't really want to plough money into another commercial centre.

I have considered the Carly option but do not really know the realibility, ease etc of such devices.

I would like to turn off the orange led corner markers,
On Digital TV in motion, beep upon locking, indicator auto flash cancel, change to 5 rather than 3,
Any help would be much appreciated to make my grin even larger in my remapped de restricted 635d e64

Cheers in advance for any feedback or advice.
Paul

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Paul. I have the carly app and have connected it to my 645. There are some options available but not all seem to work. I have tried coding from 3 flashes to 5 and didnt work. Some bit did work but nothing very useful for the cost of the app. If you plan to use it for service reset or diagnostics then its worth it. Carley currently doesnt even have support for coding folding mirrors which i emailed them about and basically got told they are looking into adding it, but its been at that point for a couple months. As an interface carley is very simple and easy to use and took me a couple minutes to figure it out and start coding to my car. Id say its worth looking into the proper software that runs via a windows pc. Its quite complicated but you then have full control to code anything to the car. Iv got the software and cable just need to install on my laptop and give it a go. For the cable and software you can try cableshack, they are also on ebay which is where i ordered mine from.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have NCS Expert and Carly app & dongle too.

I'll start with BMWhat by Carly. First off it's a great app, any DIYer with a BMW should have this app (& dongle). What I have noticed is that it is starting to creep in that some of the features only work work with the official Carly WiFi dongle. Currently I'm using a VLink WiFi dongle and the service reset function is saying that I need the Carly dongle for this function on the e63. I have ordered the official dongle and hope to receive it any day now. Here's a €5 discount code if you decide to go that route: 6D8L4Q
This code can be entered on Carly Shop: Original Adapters for Carly - Connected Car Apps in the shopping cart.
Coding functionality will always be a bit limited using the app as a new routine will have to be written for each coding requirement. However it's still a great tool to have.

NCS Expert is the factory coding software for the E Series generation of BMWs. It's an internal BMW factory tool, in German and is not designed for use by the public. ie it's not immediately intuitive. However with a bit of research you can figure out the process of coding, there's plenty of how to guides out there, there's a few forums dedicated to it as well.
Two places it can be hot as part of a larger suite of coding and diagnostics software (& cable) are:

BMW DCAN OBD USB Diagnostic Fault Code Cable - This Lead allows full Coding Programming and Diagnostics for your BMW D-CAN
Cable-Shack

·
3,324 Posts
I'm sure most members know this, but you don't need diagnostics for resetting Service items - it can be done using the odometer reset button - lots of video's on YouTube - here's one:

https://youtu.be/ER39f1BIYVQ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi gents,

Cheers for the info, and the heads up.

Still unsure which path to take,
I don't have a laptop, as Apple based....... If the Indy I went to couldn't wade through the German to sort my coding
Im not overly confident that I wouldn't mess something up if I try but do fancy being able to......

Someone local would be perfect similar to my old mucka that used to vag com my Audi.
Anyone local ?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have the coding leads for both my BMW and Audi

I found coding the Audi easy peasy and changed a host of things.

However the BMW is at the opposite end of the scale and totally baffled me and I was convinced I would mess it up and brick my ECU.

As a result of that I left it alone and just use it to read and reset faults.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate your honesty,

I do struggle with some really cool features that are switchable being so tricky to access?

I appreciate the TV in motion is a safety device but passengers could watch safely,
and I want it switched on lol.

I would like to access the temperature gauge too,
It's crazy bm left this off, I wouldn't dream of booting a car until warm.....

The new model has a dedicated gauge again now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crikey Timm

Thats great ! I would never have known that,
Will Do it tomorrow.

Cheers

·
3,324 Posts
There's all sorts of things in the hidden menu - but I have not documented it yet - but, probably very similar to the E31, E32 and E38:

BMW E38 Hidden OBC Functions

There is some disagreement as to how many significant numbers of your VIN to use - most say six digits - but I only used five

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorted,

Have to say I love my gadgets,

Managed to pick up a Carly wifi obd2 for 35 delivered
Bought the app after testing with the lite version,

Love it,

Changed all sorts including beep on lock
Digital speedo
Mirrors Fold on lock
Orange corner leds off
Dual speed hazard flash
Welcome lights
Increased soft touch indicator flash from 3 to 5
Auto key eject when engine stop button depressed (it really annoyed me having to press a key in to eject)
Windows and conv roof open on fob
All that took no more than 15-20 mins and I'm a newbie
Dpf regen is peace of mind support and it's cool knowing what is really going on as you can watch it auto regen while driving
TV in motion is almost complete as an update to the app,

If I can help anyone with diagnostics resetting or coding, more than happy as a fellow like minded enthusiast. ��

1 - 14 of 14 Posts