BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Chatbot
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

While looking at the fuse box guide when trying to see why my rear fog light stopped working (it turns out the drivers side did work and I wasn't aware you had to turn on the front fog lights before you could turn on the back, none the less the back left one still doesn't work) I noticed on the guide some items that were not present on my BMW, curiously it had front fog light fuse, but not rear fog light fuse, anyhow, one thing got my attention and it was heated passenger mirror.

I was aware that BMWs do have a lot of stuff not turned on and you could hack your car to get use out of equipment that only worked for the cars that had buttons built in for them, so I wondered were there any free hacks to enable stuff in my car? heated seats would be wishful thinking given that's a lot of stuff to have and not have use for, however do you think my car might have simple stuff that's not being utilised???

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ditto - the fog lights (front/rear) have their own buttons and work independently of each other. Although that said, the side lights or head lights have to be on for the front fogs to work. I assume it's the same for the rear but I've never actually checked!

Re left/right rear fogs - does it actually have a bulb in both sides? It's quite common that they're only bulbed on one side as you technically only need one rear fog light.

Both passenger and driver mirrors are heated and should work automatically based on temperature and whether the wipers are on.

I'm aware that certain things can be coded - like automatic locking of the doors when you drive off for example, which wouldn't require additional installation.

Heated seats is a serious undertaking - assuming you've actually got a wiring loom that would support them, there's a lot of control stuff required as well. There are some threads where people have retrofitted it - it's not for the faint hearted.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both passenger and driver mirrors are heated and should work automatically based on temperature and whether the wipers are on

My car does not do any heating of the wing mirrors.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Both passenger and driver mirrors are heated and should work automatically based on temperature and whether the wipers are on

My car does not do any heating of the wing mirrors.
I could swear my rear window demister controlled the mirror heating. I usually have the rear on as I got a vert so my life could be a lie.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I could swear my rear window demister controlled the mirror heating. I usually have the rear on as I got a vert so my life could be a lie.
Nope. Mirror heating is automatic outside temp dependent feature.

Mirror Heating
Mirror heating is controlled by the peripheral modules in the doors. The heating function is active as of terminal 15 (ignition lock position 2). The activation time is dependent on the outside temperature.

The general module receives the outside temperature from the IKE via the K-bus and determines a cycle time for heating operation. This time is transferred to the peripheral modules where it is carried out. Heating is no longer active at an outside temperature greater than 25 oC and it is switched on permanently at a temperature lower than -10 oC.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car has two rear fog lights, however as for mirror heating, if it does have it, how can I check it is working OK or not installed in the first place place?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Given it's cold at the moment, just touch the glass with your hand when the car's been running a few minutes. When operating they have a gentle warmth - not ouchey ouch hot, but most definitely noticeable. If at least one is warm, it's installed and operational - one warm and one cold would suggest a wiring or glass heating element problem in the non-functioning one.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The warmth dries them out when they get wet from spray etc as you're driving and also stops them misting up (for example, if you go into tunnel on a cold night, the glass is cold so the moisture in the warmer tunnel air will condense onto the mirror glasses). If your mirror heating is working, you can see the mist magically evaporating in a satisfying if slightly nerdy manner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts