BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I got a 530d 2007 which started with the usual battery drain faults. The battery was found to be original and worn out so a new one was fitted and coded all ok for about a month then car was a non start on a cold morning. No cranking and no dash lights. Thought it was just a one off so charged battery and ok for a few days But still sometimes will not start in morning. It has the usual glow plug codes and the battery ibs so this was disconnected. But now have checked for a drain. If the car is driven stopped and locked the car will sleep after around 15-20 mins with a drain of 0.2amps but if the car is unlocked and locked without driving the drain will not go below 1.8 amps and will not fully sleep. I found the throttle valve is still energised making a high pitched noise. Traced back to blue relay under pollen filter n/s. If I pull relay whilst in sleep and drawing 1.6amps it shuts the throttle valve down and amps drop to 0.2 amps put the relay back and does not reenergise and stays at 0.2. Open the car and it wakes up and energises. I have ordered a new relay but only the 30 terminal live without relay in and the 87 terminal is live when relay in in and energised so I assume it is back feeding through the relay. It’s weird that it will sleep when driven and locked but won’t if unlocked then locked. Sorry for the long description but could not find a post with the same problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an up date I find the start stop switch still lit at the same time when throttle valve is energised. So something is not shutting these circuits down.

·
Super Moderator
3,500 Posts
Something is preventing proper sleep mode. If IBS is already disconnected the most likely cause on E61 is the trunk lid wiring loom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for reply. There was a problem with radio aerial so will check wiring loom around that area.
Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
take main fuses out one one day one another day ect and see after each day if voltage drop on battery, and make sure car is locked, see if you can find the fault that way ,we did this with every fuse on a citroen picasso.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for reply. Already taken fuses out and done parasitic drain but is not consistent . The car will fully sleep when run, switched off and locked but if you open a door or just unlock and lock the interior lights all go out but you can still hear throttle valve and will stay on all the time until battery drained. If you pull blue engine relay it all stops even if you put it back. But the stop start switch is still illuminated. Also the led on the window lock switch stays on when not sleeping.
Anyway looks like I can’t have car back in for a few weeks now due to all the zombies looking for loo roll
Will let you all know later cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts