BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone is running this on their phones?

Just bought the bluetooth Elm device off Ebay to give it a go, will be nice to see temps and stuff on my E91 as i don't have any guages, also shows boost pressure etc all in real time straight from ODB2 port.

YouTube - Torque on Evo 4G (In Depth View)

Do a search for Torque on market place, there is a free version too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That is mega amazing!!!!! very impressed!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing, wonder if I can use on an e46?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Probably not on yours as its a 2000 model
To be honest I have never looked, will check in the morning as was going to buy a peake tool, however apparently this can read manufacturer specific codes (need confirmation/more research needed)

Be interested to find out if the older style can be read as easily etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To be honest I have never looked, will check in the morning as was going to buy a peake tool, however apparently this can read manufacturer specific codes (need confirmation/more research needed)

Be interested to find out if the older style can be read as easily etc.
A peake tool will work on your car However an OBDII scanner may or may not work,I have a Peake tool and it works well on my car and my car is ancient now :hihi

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup can clear codes too, I should have mine tommorow, ODB2 tool is 16 quid from china, or a decent one from UK seller is 23 quid delivered, thats the one i went for.

Cost of app is something silly like 3 quid, all installed on my SE X10i :)

As STK says, cars built after 2001 are normally ODB complient although the actual interface came into effect in 1995, you will need to check if your car is supported first, diesels after 2005 are supported using this programme and most petrols after 2001.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah been doing a bit of digging not had a perfectly clear all in one answer but gaining the following understanding

96-2000 OBD I for BMW

2000 had some cars with just the round bonnet connector, some with both under dash and bonnet however gaining the understanding if thats the case the one which provides diagnoses is the bonnet one (whats the one in the dash do?!)

mid 2000 saw the introduction of diagnosis from under dash and would work with the OBDII scanner from the video.

Will check on mine tomorrow, but thought be good to summarise for future people searching for this info!

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
This Elm327 device is pretty limited. It may read some error codes from the EML status but I heard it won't reset them on E9x models. Mainly used for live data.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now why are E36 models OBD 2? Could it be that the round 20 pin connector is propitiatory to BMW and they had to make the change in 2000 to 16 pin D to follow EU law? :hihi

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
OBD2 became a US legal requirement in 1996. It must access the engine ECU and transmission ECU. It also mandated a 16 pin socket under the steering wheel. The same law came in to force in Europe in 2000.

This is why, on the socket side, the 1996+ EU E36 does not have a 16 pin socket and the US one does, and the 1998-09/99 E46 has a 16 pin socket that only access 2 modules.

Basically you want to use the round socket to get at all the modules on a pre 2000 BMW.

Now - OBD2. A lot of confusion and blurring on the behalf of BMW dragging their heals here.

All E36 - EU and US - have the same ECUs and are OBD2 enabled. It's just the 16 pin socket isn't there on EU models. This does not however mean the E36 and E46 can use the same cheapo USB serial adaptors.

The USB OBD2 serial adaptors use one TH3122 K line interface chip, and the OBD2 KKL (Txd, Txd2, Rxd) lines found on the E46 are shorted together and the car is happy about it. The ECUs know to listen for traffic on the KKL lines before chattering.

It seems the E36 is not so fortunately configured. You may need one TH3122 per OBD2 KKL line. This would be what is called an ADS adaptor. I've not managed to build such a device to test this, but I do know how the USB/OBD2/20pin adaptor is configured, and that it doesn't work with E36, and that the EU E36 1996+ is OBD2 enabled.

Confused? Me too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay so I had a little look today, 02/2000 e46 328 uses round plug in car with obd in the car under steering wheel but with what looks to be only three pins?!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah same one, works fine with my E91 and SE X10i, only paramitor it does not show is throttle postion in %

Otherwise I can see MAF readings, boost pressure, water temp, intake temp.

Shows a rough BHP value and 0-60 times too, mine seem a little out but just getting used to it at the moment, boost pressure is showing around 21 psi I presume that is roughly correct?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Okay so I had a little look today, 02/2000 e46 328 uses round plug in car with obd in the car under steering wheel but with what looks to be only three pins?!
The "16 pin" EOBD plug has very limited functionality on your car. You are better using the round plug in the engine bay instead when reading codes/modules.. :thumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts