BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my mate finally got his 205 of the ramp this week and last night we set about doing the rear springs on my M3 , trailing arm bushes. Front track rod ends , drop links and discs and pads.
As soon as we got it on the ramp we could see how far off the tracking was , ive never seen anything like it in my life . The whole inside of the tyre was gone , smooth and ouside like brand new
Last night when they were removing the track rod ends and drop links they noticed the links were too short . 1st thought was they had sent the wrong ones. On to the tie bar , it had been spanner slipped at one time so mole grips had practically worn them thin . Not so good .
At this point we realised it wasnt getting of the ramp tonight (last night).

Next thing is the caliper , passenger front , seals gone . New calliper on the list.
Back springs were done in about 20 mins , excellent , then my mate noticed the red rust round the rear discs . A sure fire way of telling the discs have been roasted , this now explained the squeeking noise from the rear . Sure as hell the rear calliper is shot too . All seized up . So defo not coming off ramp .

On to today , i gave may mate a call to see how things were progressing and he`s all fevered up , seemed certain it would get of the ramp today .
I got home tonight and fired down the garage to find it still in pieces . After reassembling the front end he noticed the anti roll bar was tilted forward instead of upright which got his suspicions up .
After some deliberation with another BM techie they realised the front struts had been changed to 328`s or something in the past and as the M3 gear is all 30mm shorter it became apparent as to why the whole front end was a mess . Seems like they have picked up a complete set of struts and just made it all fit . With obvious consequences .
Anyway thats about as bad as it gets , my mates away to see his mate who keeps M3 bits and hopefully get me some struts . All going well tomorrow will see my car all done .

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a real sh***er when a simple job becomes a nightmare , hope you get it all sorted mate, if your like me you are lost without your car for even one day !!!
Thanks mate , im not too bad still got the old M3 replica to run around in till this is done . At least i still get to drive with some dignity .:hihi

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I know the problem you explain with the shocks:frown

When I was doing my conversion I fitted the M3 hubs, discs and callipers and found that as a result it pushed the wheels too far forward. I had to buy some M3 shocks as well to rectify this... I decided to go for the H&R coilover set up:rofl

Still look on the bright side mate, you got the car at a fabulous price and expected to have to do some work to it:hihi

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
thats the only consilation, if the car he got was priced allowing Stomper to keep some change to get bits & bobs done..... good thing is the BMWs bits are easy and cheap enough to source.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spot on guys. All the half decent ones were around the 4k mark so it can be well justified . Oh and two new front tyres are essential too, ive got 2 yokohamas ordered . Two rear tyres are wrong profile as well . But not overly essential . After this garage bill it will be household essentials only for a month as i reckon its gonna be a sore one. :hihi
Need to find the right time to tell the wife though :shifty:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Spot on guys. All the half decent ones were around the 4k mark so it can be well justified . Oh and two new front tyres are essential too, ive got 2 yokohamas ordered . Two rear tyres are wrong profile as well . But not overly essential . After this garage bill it will be household essentials only for a month as i reckon its gonna be a sore one. :hihi
Need to find the right time to tell the wife though :shifty:
Give me the number, I'll break the news to her gently :D

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Really sorry to hear that mate it must be crushing especially as you haven't owned it for long. But the main thing is that you're getting it sorted and I'd say that once its all done, you'll treasure the car even more :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As of 11am still no news on the struts . He was going through ad trader today when i called , our main concern now is getting a complete set of struts incase anything else has been changed .
I will have an update by tea time , at work just now.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:
Struts ordered and delivery arranged for tomorrow , only problem is , when my mate called up to speak to the seller today he started by saying it had upgraded this und uprated that . He then proceeded to lose that sale . After some discussions where my mate told him ut had to be original or nothing he suggested we take the struts from the evo which had just come in . He swears they are totally original .
I assume this wont be a problem :confused

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
F**K Me Stomps thats quite a list...:frown

Should be absolutely mega when you have replaced all that...:thumbsup

Would not like to be on the receiving end of that tongue lashing when you tell Mrs Stomper:sarcastic

"Value" Beans for a while then, eh?;)

Seriously, good luck with it all - hate it when someone bodges such a lovely car - keep it clean and original mate:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks man , diggin` the new car you have there . :hihi:hihi:hihi
We managed to get the struts for £180 so not to bad , do you know if theres any difference between the 3 ltr and the evo struts.
Cheers :D

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Were cooking with gas now guys , all done .
My mate was just putting wheels back on when i got down last night. Looked good , all shiney and new under there . Just need 2 new tyres and an exhaust now and were all done but those can wait till next month .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.