BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a BMW 335d 56 plate. I have suffered badly with the issue of cracked alloy wheels due to the run flat tyres which BMW take no responsability for even though the newer wheel has a reinforced rim which proves something must have been wrong with the original design.
Anyhow after lots of welding and the car being off the road I have been forced into buying a new set of wheels at great cost to me.
My second issue is because I have a reasonably old I drive i cannot put post codes into it because when I got to city/postcode it will only let me put letters in and no numbers.
When I went to my dealer he claimed it was originally made for a 4 digit post code system. The uk has never used a letters only 4 digit post code system so I dont take this as a valid reason. I put it to them that if something is programmed wrong in the first place it is up to them to put this right. They said they will but it is going to cost me £240.
Surely with the problem ive had with my wheels out of good will they could simply plug my car in and update my iDrive?? as this wouldnt actually cost them a penny, not like im asking for a new set of wheels!!

Any thoughts or suggestions??

·
Registered
648 Posts
It sounds like they are taking you for a fool, especially with the 4 letter post code thing. Has the car been imported at some stage of it's life? Or is there a setting within the iDrive system that can allow you to change it? I know South Africa uses a 4 numbered post code systems, but the speedometer would be in km/h instead of mph. Have you tried taking it to another BMW dealer?

·
Registered
781 Posts
On a 56 plate, BMW sat navs simply don't do 7 digit post code no matter what they program into it. It should do letters and numbers however and should let you input the first 4 (or 5?) digits of the post code which should get you close enough to choose the street on the next menu down.

Only the most recent BMW's have full uk 7 digit post code search and they're a hard drive rather than DVD based system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like they are taking you for a fool, especially with the 4 letter post code thing. Has the car been imported at some stage of it's life? Or is there a setting within the iDrive system that can allow you to change it? I know South Africa uses a 4 numbered post code systems, but the speedometer would be in km/h instead of mph. Have you tried taking it to another BMW dealer?
well this story gets better, when i spoke to a dealer in north wales they fobbed me off with this 4 digit story. I told them this wasnt a good enough reason in my eyes. They said if I had a problem I should take it up with BMW !!! wtf!! i said well were am i now skoda?? they said no BMW but we are a BMW franchise Halliwell Jones!! So they are happy to be BMW for £140 ph labour costs but not happy to be BMW when somebody has a problem. I did contact bmw directly about the issue and they said they will look into it but they were not happy about a dealer claiming to not being BMW.
Bmw direct said their navs are programmed by navtech so its their issue. In my eyes if that nav is in a bmw car its their problem. People just keep passing the blame. I need this update but dont see why i should pay for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a 56 plate, BMW sat navs simply don't do 7 digit post code no matter what they program into it. It should do letters and numbers however and should let you input the first 4 (or 5?) digits of the post code which should get you close enough to choose the street on the next menu down.

Only the most recent BMW's have full uk 7 digit post code search and they're a hard drive rather than DVD based system.
I was adivsed a new disk will not solve this issue but an iDrive update will is this right??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately i can't provide any information of any use as i don't have the same model of car as yours, however, it sounds an absoloute nightmare. Hope you manage to get it all sorted mate...good luck.

·
Registered
781 Posts
An I-drive update should give you a 3D perspective view as opposed to just a plan view and may increase from four to 5 digit allowing the use of numbers and letters but categorically will not give you full UK 7 digit postcode search. It simply doesn't exist (with legitimate BMW nav discs) for our generation of cars

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
BMW's were never made for our Post codes, until the latest models. I'm not aware there is an update that the dealer can do to give you the 7 digit postcode, unless supply you with a new disc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An I-drive update should give you a 3D perspective view as opposed to just a plan view and may increase from four to 5 digit allowing the use of numbers and letters but categorically will not give you full UK 7 digit postcode search. It simply doesn't exist (with legitimate BMW nav discs) for our generation of cars
so do you think i could take it in for this to be done, if they tell me i will get 7 digit postcodes and it doesnt then surely i can refuse payment as I havnt got what i asked for?

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
Sorry hit the button too quick, best bet is to get an updated disc online for around £35. It will give you 7 digit postcode and speed cameras. Get a 2011 or 2012.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My experience is that they don't guarantee anything but if you specifically ask the question "will this update give me a 7 digit post code search?" and get told "yes" then when it doesn't (which it won't) say you're not happy, don't want to pay etc and see where you get.

·
Registered
648 Posts
At this rate, it would be cheaper buying a top of the range sat-nav and putting it in your car lol. I wonder why they sell cars in the UK with sat-nav (most times it's an option extra you pay for) and yet it isn't made for the UK post code system. I wonder if any other car makers are like that.

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
The only thing I would add is I don't see this obsession with post codes, it only takes me a minute to import the address and it will take me right to the door.

·
Registered
431 Posts
While it would be nice to have a built in sat-nav unti, modern phones do it all and do it damn well too.

I just use the Googlemaps app on my android phone and have full photo's from space of where I'm going and where I'm driving.

i just can't see how any car manufacturer can have an in car sat-nav that's updated as frequently or as comprehensive as a modern phone app.

I can litterally search google for a business or address, then select "navigate" and bam it's done, no postcode entry, no messing about, nothing.

I dunno, i know people like them, but i think in car, built in sat navs are just a poor idea unless they can be regularly updated over the air, for free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts