BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to put this, but after due deliberation, I decided here was the best place for it.

I dont have a dash mounted satnav, nor the money, time or patience to retrofit one. So for me, I am stuck with my tried and trusted tomtom 1 xl.

But I had a problem with it from the moment I bought the beemer, and that was where to put it. I dont like anything on my screen. That includes stickers and fingerprints, but more importantly, I hate the ring that a sat nav sucker leaves on the screen. Almost as much as having the satnav itself bolted on screen.

So I needed an alternative. There are cup holder mounts available, but for my car at least, they mount it far too low to be safely usable, and despite having 2 cup holders available, only one is usable with the armrest down so that was a washout (where would I put my (spillproof) cup?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cup-holder-mount-for-tomtom-go-510-710-910-500-700-900_W0QQitemZ360150469833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET?hash=item360150469833&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

There are also dash plates available, so the satnav can be mounted to the plate rather than the screen, but I didn't fancy the idea of a permanent plate fitted to the dash so that was also a no go.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAT-NAV-PHONE-OR-PDA-DASHBOARD-MOUNT-BRILLIANT_W0QQitemZ330327094905QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET?hash=item330327094905&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

So, with the commercially available options exhausted, I made my own mount. I used the original suction mount bracket for the unit (just the piece that connects to the satnav) and came up with a new idea for mounting it in the car. I now have this as my view of the satnav.

Before anyone says it, I know its wonky in this pic, but I have since tweaked it straight. For this post though, I just wanted pics to show what I had done.

How is it held there? I hear you ask. Simple really, and all the info you need visually is there on the pic, but to make it that bit easier to see, here is what I made up.

The whole thing has since been painted in black hammerite to make it look better (hammerite so that it doesnt flake in the cassette player, even though I never play cassettes, I dont want to knacker the head unit for no reason). I took all these pics before it was painted just to show it in its raw state.

It doesnt rattle or shake, it doesnt make any unwanted noise. I had toyed with fitting a bit of spring steel to hold it if it moved or made any noise, but it works as is, so thats how it stayed.

The screw was only fitted for extra strength and to hold things in place while the araldite set. The metal on the back fitted for extra strength and to minimise any stress on the joint when pushing on the screen or fitting and removing the satnav from the bracket. That same metal only lets the cassette go in as far as was needed in the head unit.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, you youngsters. Hey, I just found an electrickery operated box in the back of the car that has 6 shiny drink coasters in it. BMW think of everything.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would, but how many cars in this day and age have a cassette player. Thanks for the feedback the idea though. I appreciate that

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's pretty cool Diablo...I'll move this to the 'How to' section and tweak the title a bit :thumbsup
Tweak the title! What was wrong with 'Where you can stick your TomTom' then? All joking aside, the rename does seem a little more helpful to those looking at it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never thought to add the bit that was discarded to the pictures. I should have mentioned that I unscrewed the tomtom mount plate from the original shaft and sucker of the main mount. I was tempted to cut it initially, but decided on unscrewing it in case I ever needed to change it back to standard (unlikely, but if it hadn't worked out how I wanted, I would have changed it back). The good thing about araldite is the fact that with a bit of brute force it snaps away cleanly. Either way, I am including the images of the unused parts of the mount in case it turns out you have the same type. Even if yours is different, if it has the ball mount for adjustment, it may come apart in a similar way.

As to doing the same idea with a cd? It's always a possibility, though I am not sure how rigig a single cd would be. I would be tempted to use something a little more substantial. The only thing to be careful of would be cutting the disc (or whatever else you use) in such away that it avoids the motorised pick up of the disc mechanism.

Unfortunately, I dodnt have access to the type of head unit you have so am unable to help you there.

·
Registered
788 Posts
whats wrong with putting it on the screen like any other driver ? that looks like you really have to take your eyes of the road to see it ! if i was going to make something i,d probably go for a device that dropped down from the sunvisor or hung off my rear view mirror , but fair play to you anyway m8

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
personally, I think anything on the screen detracts from what you should be looking at and need to see clearly, that being the road and traffic in front of you. I only look at the sat nav when its safe to do so. But as nearly every manufacturer fits it in a similar place when in dash, and especially as in my case it is even higher than standard, then I feel it is better placed than on screen.
When you consider how far away screens are on some cars, it is even better where it is. I dont know about you, but I only glance at the satnav when needed, being out of direct line of sight makes it that much less of a distraction.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Fitting on the screen could be illegal.

You are not supposed to have anything on the screen or blocking a part of the screen that is within the arc of the wiper blades. (ie: things hanging from rear view mirror etc)

If you do and you hit someone you will be at fault regardless as your vision was impaired.

·
Registered
84 Posts
this is a good idea... this is where i have fitted mine.....

and taken a power feed off the interior light, then hidden the tomtom changer bit in the roof too....

·
Banned
71 Posts
now that my friend is ingenuity,i like that idea,the trouble i have with my tomtom is that the windscreen on my coupe rakes back at such a low angle that there's barely room for it to fit so i'm going to try your idea,now where's that blow torch....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
although I do like that idea. It still relies on the rubber sucker (and the marks on the screen that I hate) so am sticking to the tape deck

1 - 20 of 37 Posts