BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering whether those lovely 17 inch Alpina mag alloys I spent so much money on would fit on the new 120d? The tyre sizes are 225/45-17 and 245/40-17. Might look cool, but can't find any pics online. Would I need spacers? I know I have to work out offset and rolling radius - but not sure how to. If it can be done would it improve handling, or send it bad...? Any thoughts gratefully appreciated. P.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
What is the offset stamped on the back of the wheel? (Looking for ET46 or similar)

Also what width are the wheels (e.g.17x7.5)

I will also need all of the details from your standard 1 series wheels too:thumbsup

I'm doubtful that they will fit but I am able to do the calculations for you and advise you of the outcome:cool

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
1 Series E81/82/87/88 = PCD 5x120, centre bore 72.5mm and M12x1.5 bolt thread. ET 35-45

3 Series E36 = PCD 5x120, centre bore 72.5mm and M12x1.5 bolt thread. ET 30-40

What offset are the Alpina's?

·
Registered
78 Posts
They should be fine fella.

e36 and 1ers run similar offsets with the e36 leaning towards lower offsets so no spacer needed.

Unless your picking up some genuine 9js with correct 265s on the rear clearance shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, the wheels are genuine Alpina and the rears are 9js, but the tyres are 245, not 265. Alpina had some issue with the original 265s not being made anymore so they recommended the 245s. The offset is marked as e46.

I have two beautifully shredded rears (one down to the belts - got a bit happy after doing the rollbars...) and 'orribly worn fronts so will be able to choose some new rubber. Do you learned gentlemen have any suggestions - I do mostly winding B roads with lots of bumps and slippery mud from tractors, and I drive on the edge a bit as I'm usually running late for work...

Really grateful for your help - thanks.

P.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My first suggestion would be to read the thread in general discussion re a Pistonheads members prison diary after his last speedy back road trip.

Beyond that an awful lot of M3 owners run 245/40 Goodyear Eagle F1's and swear by them. I havent had the pleasure. Apparantly they have excellent all weather road holding.

If I was you I would google some tyre reviews and buy the best you can afford. It is the only thing that connects you to the road after all.

Fwiw I have toyo proxes front and Dunlop SP Sportmaxx rear atm. I find the dunlops have excellent wet weather grip but they are worn now and I will probably get a matching pair of Proxes as my fronts are still in good nick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool - thanks for that. And I take your point about pushing round the bends - I live next to a fire station and get all the details of the local RTAs they attend. In fact they themselves had a fatal accident with a chap racing his Fiesta on the wrong side of the road just recently - shrink wrapped his car around his corpse as it went under the firetruck in the blink of an eye...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did it! Goodyear Eagle F1s 225/45/17 on 8J fronts, 245/40/17 on 9J rears. Looks great compared to the awful seven-spoke things the car came with, though it's set me thinking about a subtle lowering and some mudflaps as they fit fine at top of arch but stick out where body drops back as arch joins sill. The ride is transformed as per others' posts. Can't really believe how bad the runflats were. They felt really heavy, though I didn't try comparison with Alpinas, which I know were heavier than the original alloys off my e36. Haven't explored grip yet as brand new but have fifty miles of smiles tomorrow if weather holds. I'll try to post a pic in case anyone's interested. And thanks again for your help. P.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts