BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the alloys refurbed early 2019 (acid dipped, sand blasted and power coated etc) and since then I have been through 4 sets of brake discs and pads. They only last around 1500 miles before you begin to feel steering wheel judder whilst braking and it gets progressively worse over time.

The car has gone to BMW for the work and they have replaced the brake calipers, brake carriers and brake arm reactors. Now given the issue is still not fixed, BMW have diagnosed the refurbed alloys as the cause of the issue saying that the paint on them is too thick and therefore not allowing the hear to disperse and hence causing the brake discs to warp.

I have spoken to a number of garages and wheel refurbishment companies and every single one of them have said that they have never come across the issue before and that refurbed alloys would not cause this issue.

I'm not sure it's a coincidence that the issue started after having the alloys refurbed.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this issue? Or suggestions on next steps? BMW have recommended a set of 4 brand new alloys to fix the issue and have quoted circa £3.5k which is a complete joke!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the alloys refurbed early 2019 (acid dipped, sand blasted and power coated etc) and since then I have been through 4 sets of brake discs and pads. They only last around 1500 miles before you begin to feel steering wheel judder whilst braking and it gets progressively worse over time.

The car has gone to BMW for the work and they have replaced the brake calipers, brake carriers and brake arm reactors. Now given the issue is still not fixed, BMW have diagnosed the refurbed alloys as the cause of the issue saying that the paint on them is too thick and therefore not allowing the hear to disperse and hence causing the brake discs to warp.

I have spoken to a number of garages and wheel refurbishment companies and every single one of them have said that they have never come across the issue before and that refurbed alloys would not cause this issue.

I'm not sure it's a coincidence that the issue started after having the alloys refurbed.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this issue? Or suggestions on next steps? BMW have recommended a set of 4 brand new alloys to fix the issue and have quoted circa £3.5k which is a complete joke!
Hi, I had a similar problem a few years ago with an Audi A4 after getting wheels refurbished but not quite to the same extent as you are suffering. I also had the problem of steering vibration. What I believe occurred was that the coating was too thick at the hub and they just battered the wheels on, as they were a nightmare to get off and could never be balanced correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts