BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Alloy wheel kerbing repair

Tags
kerbing
56K views 64 replies 50 participants last post by  hollowman 
#1 ·
Thought i would put up a bit of repair work i did today to the alloys, i'm no expert but was fun having a go...

Heres the picture showing the damage.

Firstly i masked off the tyre.

Next i cleaned the area to be repaired and filled the damaged area using "Metalik"

The metalik was then rubbed down using a medium sanding block the finished off with a fine grade block.
This picture shows the finished wheel, just waiting to paint now but i ran out of daylight

See less See more
#15 ·
The paint arrived this week...
I used Wurth german alloy silver lacquer and wurth clear lacquer...

Heres a few more pics..

After the first coat of silver lacquer

Then after a coat of clear lacquer

Than another coat of clear lacquer and finally back on the car

#21 ·
That looks really good.

Id love to do mine but they are in very bad condition, they were when i bought the car, paint is all flaking the inside of them etc. And i dont have another set of wheels to put on it while im repairing, they are also only reps so i dont even know if they are worth the effort tidying up as they would need a lot of sanding, although if i got them looking half decent it would be a big improvment over how they look now.

Is the paint expensive?

Would it be possible to do a full job on one wheel over a weekend?

#25 · (Edited)
Cheers for the thread martin did you do the insides as well or just the outta:confused also where did you find your paint do you have to go to germany or is there somewhere in the uk:lol and last one if you dont mind me asking how much paint did you use for the one wheel cheers for the info:thumbsup:thumbsup

edit:- sorry mate great job by the way :)

#26 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, i'll try and answer some questions...

Firstly the paint is "Wurth Silver lacquer" as the main coat topped off with "Wurth Clear lacquer" ... The paint was bought from http://www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/Wurth.html
They provided an excellant service, paint was with me 2 days after placing order!

For the 4 wheels i used 1 full and about a 1/3 of a can of the silver and 1 can of clear lacquer, the cans are great quality and spray very well with no spurting or blobbing while spraying. A quick tip...i warmed the cans up in a bowl of warm water before shaking for about 2 minutes, i find it mixes the contents easier.
I did cheat a bit and didnt do the inside of the wheels due to not really having enough time, (its on my to do list) so i guess for spraying the outside and inside of 4 wheels you would need 3 cans of each lacquer.
As far as time taken to do.... it took a day of preparation eg Filling and sanding and a day to spray the wheels, the paint dries pretty quickly and i like to put the second coat on while the first is nearly dry but still a bit tacky, it took about 15 minutes to go tacky ready for the next coat.
Its never going to beat a professionally refurbished wheel but, to be honest, its not far off and was an enjoyable task aided by saving a few hundred quid!

Hopefully that is everything, if i've missed anything a pm is welcome

Martyn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.