BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well as you can see I drive a 316i saloon, not everybody's cup of tea but I like it and it's practical too having two kids (I did drive a little Corsa before this and it was fun but just not practical!). Had it around a year now, bought it for £700 and it currently sits on 119,000 miles which I'm pretty sure isn't too bad...

I lost a lot of interest in it over the last few months but before Christmas I did the following:

* Lowered it on a set of Eibach springs
* Replaced the plastic gear knob with a genuine leather M one
* Painted the grilles matt black
* Xenon bulbs
* Flat wipers
* Replaced the analogue clock with a 7 button OBC

The love is back now though and I'm planning on spending some decent money on it to get it tidy for the summer.

Anyway, enough waffling, here is the car:

I bought these before Christmas (£5, everyone loves a bargain!) but just haven't had the motivation to get them on:

They will be going on as soon as the rust on the car has been treated. Should make it look a bit more up to date :)

Just a couple of pics to show before the OBC was fitted and also how high it was before I lowered it.

Analogue clock:

Note the original plastic gear knob in the above pic that I have since replaced with a leather M one.

And below how high it was:

Genuine staggered M Sports were put on recently:

Looks much better I think. The centre caps need replacing and two of the M badges are missing but they can wait. Pictures are shocking but can't find my camera so used my phone.

I've fitted the new plates I got also, they look a lot cleaner than the old original ones and at a tenner for the pair its a cheap mod to do for a big effect in my opinion.

And I've put a pic of one of the wheels up, whether or not they are diamond cut I do not know...

I fitted a leather handbrake handle:

Looks a lot better than the shitty plastic thing that was on it before and feels a lot sturdier as it's a lot heavier too. Along with the gearknob and new gaiters I think it tidies things up a bit in there though they both need going over with some leather treatment.

Anyway... I have some coilovers which with any luck will be going on this week and after that I'm hoping to get the skirts on ASAP. I have a list as long as my arm of things I want to do to it but it's all about the dollar!

Thanks for reading, all comments welcome :)

Alex

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks mate :) An interior is on my list along with an exhaust and various other things. Priorities though are to get the coilvers on and slam it and then the skirts.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Looking good so far mate!

Check out Sprits Loon - He has done a good job on his!

I like mine! :hihi Mine is Cosmos Black- Guess yours is the same???

·
Registered
648 Posts
What do those 3 switches next to the cigar lighter do?

And yours did not come with traction control?

Anyways, nice car. Great to see another 316 'loon!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm slowly reading through all the saloon and 316i projects on here for inspiration! The colour of mine I think is Schwarz 2 or something, can't remember without going to look but I know it's not Cosmos. The switches didn't do anything, the previous owner didn't know and when I looked under them to check they weren't even wired up to anything. They have been removed now anyway. And no traction control, was it meant to have it, lol?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well, my "R" reg 316 has got traction control and next to that it has an alarm LED light thing, but it doesn't work lol. Maybe your's a '97? Mine is a '98.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think mine is a '97 and I'm not sure on the traction control thing but I will find out, I have a mate who is very knowledgeable when it comes to BMWs!

·
Registered
120 Posts
mine has no traction either, not that i want it lol

nice loon mate, nice to see another 1.6 :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well these came this morning:

Obviously there are two of each and the rest of the set too, just couldn't be arsed getting it all out. All I need now is a break in the weather so they can be fitted! Can't wait though, went out this morning and I looked back at my car and even though its on Eibachs its still high as a kite. Gonna slam it now!

·
Registered
120 Posts
thats what coilovers ive got, there good, no damper adj and life span is only about two years tho, but i had them cos was planning on changing my car to a bigger engined e36 before that lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For £175 you can't complain and I was recommended them. Will keep my Eibachs and current shocks anyway should I want to change back at a later date :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts