BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This isn't my first BMW but it is my first E46. I went to view the car on the spur of the moment on Sunday and picked it up on Wednesday. I'm pretty pleased with it and have a few ideas I'd like to document and share with you along the way. I've found this site is great for tips and advice too. Some pictures below:

I have to say it's in great condition, no rust under the arches at all and drives like a dream up to now. Comes with the electric and heated leather, first aid kit, complete toolbox and is pretty clean for 93k miles. There are a few niggles that need sorting but it will all happen over time.

I've already ordered black kidney grilles, aero wipers and chrome/clear indicator bulbs all round. Will update as I go along.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anybody know if these are the standard wheels for this car? I assume not as they have little 'M' badges on them and it isn't an M...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah cool, still think it's a little odd. Not sure whether to lower this or not yet, I always lower my cars then regret it as it nearly always causes issues but then I just can't help myself ��

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mines been lowered b4 I brought it. I can't fault the ride. Hardly feel the bumps except them policemen asleep

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the car to get the tracking done yesterday, drove it last night and it was worse than before it went in. Took it back first thing and they did a 4-wheel laser alignment and now it drives in a straight line with no pulling to the right.

Have had a thorough look over the car now and a wheel refurb looks like it will be priority, they are awful! Will get some more pics up soon and a list of plans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a couple of little bits today just to freshen the ends up and make a start on it really. Firstly I changed all the indicator bulbs as orange doesn't do it for me:

All shots are before and after... front end:

Rear:

Side repeaters:

All looks a lot fresher in my opinion :) Just waiting on my black kidneys for the front. Also, I have some of the facelift rear inner lights on their way to me because the originals have done this:

Perfect excuse to change them really.

Also, I fitted some fresh aero wipers:

It's a start :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking better.

Thanks mate. I want to change the numberplates too but unsure as to whether or not I should go for pressed or just a standard set of plain ones. I've had pressed on my last couple of cars but thinking they're starting to look a little tacky/cliche?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stick with the Standard m8. I agree about the pressed. OK on older vw's

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well funnily enough my last car was a Bora and I had them on that but I couldn't help thinking they looked a little weird. But good shout, think I'll get a nice pair of clean standard ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Fitted my black kidney grilles this morning as they turned up. Not a perfect fit as to be expected but they are secure and you can't tell unless you're up close. Looks a million times smarter anyway. When removing the originals it was apparent they had been out at some point before anyway as most of the clips were broken.

Front is slowly getting to where I would like it. Just need a clean plate. Thinking about tinting the fogs yellow but I'm super lazy and seems like a job I couldn't be bothered with, haha. Pretty sure the roundel is brand new too as there isn't a single mark on it, the rear one does need replacing however.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, I've had the tracking and wheel alignment done and also the wheels balanced but I'm still getting shaking through the steering wheel at and above 60mph. Any ideas? Because I'm stumped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I once had a tyre slightly not round. Have you had new tyres fitted? If so, let them check them on the balancer whilst it goes round.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think my next port of call would have been the tyres, they're the ones that came with it when I bought it and as far as I can tell they are all ok, loads of tread and stuff. Matching set too which is rare for a used car, haha. Will sort it I'm sure.

Was considering adding an induction kit and maybe an exhaust system down the line but the sound this car makes when you floor it is awesome anyway so have shelved those thoughts for now, ha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right, I actually have a cone filter and I attempted to fit it today out of curiosity. It doesn't however fit, it looks like I need a reducer to make it fit but I can't for the life of me find what size I need. Does anyone know? I read somewhere it might be 3" to 3.25" but as far as I can see this size doesn't exist...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't bother. I put a cone filter on. Did nothing to performance and fuel economy. Sounded slightly better but not by much.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts