BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is not technical but still would like to hear some advice please. Soon it will be holiday time for me and Im wondering where to keep my 4 wheel love. Is it safe at long stay car park at Gatwick/Heathrow Airport? Or should I look for an underground garage? Im not liking the idea to leave my car for two weeks outside my flat in residential parking. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
A lot of my friends tell me that their cars left at long stay car parks at Manchester airport, are as safe there as being at home, and they do meet & greet.
Suppose it all depends on how much you worry!
I am always dubious, so I simply leave mine at home with my 4tress steering wheel lock, and think well it's insured, and get a taxi!
I presume you don't live in a rough area as obviously something can happen to your car at any time!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont live in a rough area, but had theft attempt in february. Since then I got a bit concerned when I have to leave my car for longer than a few days. I got GAP ins., viper alarm, and a disklok on steering wheel BUT Im not liking the idea of coming back after two weeks to find my car with broken window and soaking with water and dirt inside.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for advice m8. Will check the prices and compare them with underground parking to see what makes more sense.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'd recommend you park it yourself at the airport and if it's your pride and joy do not use meet and greet. 2 reasons: 1 you get put your disklok on it and 2 a mate of mine found his M5 had mysteriously gone the long way from the terminal to the car park...85 miles...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Id be more worried about scratches than anything else tbh.

I have to ask - having read some of your older posts pinco, do you sleep at night? I love my car too but you seem to be paranoid about its safety. You have all the insurance and security you can get, you can't do more. Knock on wood but if something was to happen it will happen - out of your hands type of thing.

Park it, lock it and enjoy your holiday without thinking about your car every 5 mins mate, enjoy yourself :)

Reactions: pinco000

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wats the viper alarm like? Is it worth the money tbh i live on the west coast of wales and i could probley leave my keys in the ignition and it would still be there the nxt day but my missis and i are off to brighton at the end of the month and abit worried that it might ve stolen as its england :rofl is it worth getting the alarm fitted or do u think a steering lock and temp disabling the obd and reconectting it when i get back would be good enough sorry to steal ur post

Reactions: pinco000

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Official Airport parking at Gatwick and Heathrow has always been absolutely fine in my experience - (over 60 weeks away in four years - work not holiday in case you were wondering). Never had any issues with dings, dents, thefts.

7 top tips:

(1) Always pre-book on line through the official website - it's vastly cheaper and solves aggro of not having space when you arrive. Do this at least two weeks before you travel because prices go up and availability decreases as you get closer. Four weeks is better.
(2) As a rule of thumb, 'business parking' gets you bigger spaces - especially true of the Heathrow T4 business car park. Less so of some others - but you do get a more frequent minibus transfer service. If booked well in advance, business isn't much more expensive.
(3) If going for standard long stay, allow some extra time to cruise round the car park looking for an end space so that you can pinch a few extra inches for additional protection against the door bangers. Actually, do this regardless of car park type.
(4) Don't bother with meet and greet - partly because of doing (3) yourself, partly because when you return it's just more aggro to find the right people to get your car (especially if you're coming in on a red-eye), and partly because it's just not worth the money. +1 on Johnny Grabble's points above as well.
(5) When you pre book, you get a reference number - put this in your phone/calendar for your return. In the event that your number plate didn't read properly when you entered the car park, you need the reference in order to prove that you have pre-paid and that the £11 Billion charge that would have otherwise been payable is not applicable. You can do this without the reference but it is a whole world of extra administrative tedium.
(6) Take the ticket with you (makes it harder for anyone to lift the car from the car park).
(7) Don't lose the ticket (makes it harder for you to lift the car from the car park).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've used long term parking at both Gatwick and Heathrow airports. Never had any issues and always paid for cheap option of self parking and keeping my keys with me.
Just Park, lock and go to shuttle bus stop.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Id be more worried about scratches than anything else tbh.

I have to ask - having read some of your older posts pinco, do you sleep at night? I love my car too but you seem to be paranoid about its safety. You have all the insurance and security you can get, you can't do more. Knock on wood but if something was to happen it will happen - out of your hands type of thing.

Park it, lock it and enjoy your holiday without thinking about your car every 5 mins mate, enjoy yourself :)
I have a good sleep ever since I have done all I mentioned above :) My paranoia is defo gone. Its just two weeks now and I dont want some idiot to notice sitting the car at the same spot for two weeks and then smash my window only to find out he wont be able to take it :)
Thanks for advice anyway mate ;)
PS: I will leave the car at the airport and take keys with me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wats the viper alarm like? Is it worth the money tbh i live on the west coast of wales and i could probley leave my keys in the ignition and it would still be there the nxt day but my missis and i are off to brighton at the end of the month and abit worried that it might ve stolen as its england :rofl is it worth getting the alarm fitted or do u think a steering lock and temp disabling the obd and reconectting it when i get back would be good enough sorry to steal ur post
Viper is a great alarm! No brainer in London. My next car will have one too. However it annoys one of neighbours - E92 335i driver :) When someone gets close it gives a 5 sec warn away signal lol
The alarm gives you loads of extra protection on top the poor bmw alarm. I noticed quite a few viper alarms on bmws on E92. ( blue light near the red bmw one )
Where you live though with keys left in ignition haha, its a vaste of money.
Check you tube for some detailed videos of how the alarm works. Search for secure my car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts