BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking at replacing the Air Suspension / rear bellows on my E70.

I can get a pair for roughly £50 on Amazon. Or spend three times the amount on a make like Arnott. I know you get what you pay but its not always the case. Any advice on a good set of bellows and whether there is a big difference between the two?

Thanks

John Willis
UK

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

I can get a pair for roughly £50 on Amazon. Or spend three times the amount on a make like Arnott. I know you get what you pay but its not always the case. Any advice on a good set of bellows and whether there is a big difference between the two?

Thanks

John Willis
UK
Thinking of doing the same John. Could you let me know what the quality is like please. Also could you let me know how difficult the job is please. LOOKS easy on YouTube but I’ve fell fowl of that before o_O

cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I prefer to use a garage. They’ve been installed today and the left side still sags when stationary. It raises itself when the car is started and apparently my mechanic states the left ones are supposed to be 20mm lower. Something else is defo up in my case. Sorry I guess it doesn’t help much. All the best

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the update. Left side is lower to compensate for the weight of the driver I believe.
Have you considered the headlight level sensor (ride height sensor). They’re pretty cheap and look simple to swap. Others on here will be able to advise on this far better than I can!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

Thanks

John Willis
UK
John, did you find out what the problem was? Ride height/headlight sensor?
Would you recommend the bellows above from Amazon?
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi. Not yet. The problem remains. It’s with bmw for diagnostics as we speak. I’ll update later in the week or tomorrow
Quick update. BMW diagnostic shows it’s a compressor issue so need a new one. Worthwhile as I wasted money on the airbags. Yes it’s the rear passenger side sagging so makes you think airbag or suspension airline. The guy said as the compressor has further to travel (air that is) this is why in my case the passenger side sags. I was going to order the airline just for that side but bmw diagnostics get to the heart of the matter which is what we want. Cheers all. Peace out!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Changed the bags today on my e70. Very straight forward even for a novice. Only issue I had was when I turned the bag to make it drop from the top it didn’t move! After 15 mins wrestling with it I removed the liner in the boot and the key way locking system is visible (it was all chewed up so wouldn’t drop). A little persuasion with a hammer and screw driver sorted it. Very easy and well worth DIY!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick update. The valve block was the issue. Had to virtually replace all rear suspension parts before getting to this conclusion. Also, bmw diagnostics not quite up to par or they purposefully held back this info I guess in order to win the business.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts