BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I've recently bought a 2014 F30 and my friend bought himself a 2014 4 series. His air conditioning needs a recharge, but he's taken it to a couple of places and nowhere seems to do it because apparently BMW changed their A/C system in 2013. Can anyone shed any light on this? He's managed to find somewhere that does it, but for roughly 3 times the price.
I'm just wondering if anyone can explain exactly what they mean when they say it's been changed, and why it's now so much more expensive than normal. Also, is this exclusive to BMW?

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
852 Posts
EU regs drove a change in the refrigerant used in the aircon systems. It used to be R134a, but has now changed to something else (can't remember the name off hand) which is much more expensive. Must admit, I thought the changeover was more like 2016-2017, but that's probably what's driving the cost here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. And is this across the board with all cars? As he's under the impression that it's just BMW. He contacted a few garages and none of them could do it, which would be weird if it applies to all cars after 2013.

·
Registered
152 Posts
R1234yf is the new, more expensive gas. On the bonnet there is a plate that specifies which one has to be used. Should be from 2016 on most BMWs

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi, it seems at about 15 to 17 the companies changed gas , at the time we had a 65 plate pulsar which was on the new gas car was made in spain, whereas the 66 juke the wife had was old gas, my 17 plate f31 is the new gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts