BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago - longer than I want to admit - I sprayed parts of my Dad's Volvo (240 - oh dear) with aerosol paint.

As I tried to 'feather' the spray into the surroundings I remember that it just went bitty and like sandpaper as the paint landed in fine droplets.

As I contemplate 'making good' an area on the rear of my E46 touring, what do I need to do to make sure this doesn't happen again.?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are spraying metallic, leave the rough bit and ensure you overspray and overlap with lacquer. When you've done that, or don't have metallic, let the paint cure fully. Leave it a week I'd suggest. Get hold of some rubbing compound form Halfords (a few £) and apply it like you would a car wax, circular motions on a clean damp cloth; keep at it until it feels smooth. You'll now have a smooth but dull surface. Repeat the above step with T-Cut (under a tenner). This will polish the surface.

If you are masking the panel, use width masking tape and lift up the edge of the tape so that you don't have a hard built up line of paint.

Just takes patience and some elbow grease.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts