BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I took my E93 in for a look into an issue with rough idle. I then got sent a diagnostics report later for a repair quote for new sensors and fuel injectors AND this comment: "NO COMMUNICATION WITH FRM, UNABLE TO OPERATE FRONT LIGHTS; WILL REQUIRE INVESTIGATION" which caught me completely by surprise as there were no issues with lights at all as recently as the evening before.

But having decided to not go ahead with the engine repairs, I said I'd come in to pick the car up, and to query them re the lights while I'm there. On, arrival, I was also told that the windows couldn't be rolled back up due to the same FRM failure. This was when I decided that a) I couldn't pick up the car until the FRM issue was resolved and b) that was in my rights to have the car back in the original state when I took it in. Obviously the windows were operating fine right up to when I dropped the car off.

After 2 days, the repair shop is claiming that the FRM unit was already faulty which is why it failed during the interrogation of the control units while testing and that I should bear the replacement cost.

Any thoughts/advice re above please? TIA

·
Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
These FRM modules are notorious to get corrupted if for example battery is disconnected or after diagnostics when the module boots. So the garage has nothing to do with this. It's just bad luck it happened now. The module can be repaired by loading a new software directly on the chip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These FRM modules are notorious to get corrupted if for example battery is disconnected or after diagnostics when the module boots. So the garage has nothing to do with this. It's just bad luck it happened now. The module can be repaired by loading a new software directly on the chip.
Thanks for the reply. So a costly price for the bad luck then - the dealer quote is to replace the FRM, not repair.

·
Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
Official BMW dealers can only offer module replacement. There are several shops who can repair the module on the bench by programming the chip with correct software.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Had my e90 done last year after it did the same following battery disconnection 2009-2011 were particularly bad years for FRM. I used some place on ebay £45 to do I just had to remove and post it off to them,it was back with me on day 3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had my e90 done last year after it did the same following battery disconnection 2009-2011 were particularly bad years for FRM. I used some place on ebay £45 to do I just had to remove and post it off to them,it was back with me on day 3
Thank you for sharing that - if the dealer denies any responsibility then I’d have to look for alternative solutions like this as I can’t/won’t pay the full replacement cost!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts