BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, right lets get to business i baught my amp wires today going to start setting up at about 0900 hours tomorro problem is i'm not sure abou the route with the wires from the battery, and wat would be the best way... right wife is nagging food is ready i'll give more info after i've eaten cheers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And back again. ok like i said i need to sort of know what is the best way and easyway for a E36 318i from battery to amp as i don't want to mess it up. i have 1x vibe 12" SLR sub 6x9 fusion powerplant now i know how to wire the sub to the amp and the rear speakers to the amp.
so it's the main part just to get knowlege on anyone can help me?
P.S also t amp wire kit comes with an attached fuse it's about 8"-9" from where i link battery.... so thats a task cut short for me too.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
K man , i took out glove box , passenger seat and lifted carpets . Behind where glove box is i fed cable through there which came out under battery tray. Ill nip out and take pics in a minute. , but from there along floor at tunnel side and under rear seat into boot.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Just re-read original post by you . if you feed a piece of other wire from car to engine bay then pull amp cable back through from engine side that way you will end up with fuse section left in engine bay . Hope this is what you meant . :confused

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers stomper i got it sorted it was the blue wire to the cd player that i needed lol sorry i din't post earlier my flippin wife wanted to pick up a pc monitor up....
anyway last thing i got to do now is solder the 12v cable to the amp... as when i move the wire it turns sub on off so i might take it to a garge tomorow and get a quote or try to see if i can some how as i want to do this car 100% myself. any tips on the 12v cable?
***EDIT** also would crimping be easyer?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not liking where the wire goes through the bulkhead into the car, is there a rubber grommet on the hole? If not pull the cable back out and put one there as its dangerous, because the metal will cut into the wire in time.

You shouldn't have to solder the wire to the amp. Also make sure you are using a decent grounding point, sand it down to bare metal.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
I'm not liking where the wire goes through the bulkhead into the car, is there a rubber grommet on the hole? If not pull the cable back out and put one there as its dangerous, because the metal will cut into the wire in time.

You shouldn't have to solder the wire to the amp. Also make sure you are using a decent grounding point, sand it down to bare metal.
There was a half grommet under that wire , musta fell out . I have my doubts as to whether it would cut through in time . Hard enough cutting it wi decent snips . But i hear you , it is not good practice . :embarrassed

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Id get the correct size connector then reduce the thickness of the cable by cutting into it like youre removing the outer sleeve but cutting a bit deeper , thus reducing the thickness of the cable. All i can suggest without seeing it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol this is wat i was just saying to the misses. looks like i got wrong size connector so at 10am i'll go back to the shop and show them

·
Registered
38 Posts
no not lost it's the wire size to the amp connect size because it's so big i can't get it to sit on it properly. what should i do?
get yourself down to hellfrauds and check the ice section out, they should have a connector which one half goes over your cable and you crimp on, and the other half looks like a pin, this should fit into your terminal. Although you can bodge it if you want and snip the wire down till it fits, but that's ghetto style :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
get yourself down to hellfrauds and check the ice section out, they should have a connector which one half goes over your cable and you crimp on, and the other half looks like a pin, this should fit into your terminal. Although you can bodge it if you want and snip the wire down till it fits, but that's ghetto style :)
well i sorted it n works a charm! can't believe 3 days ago i knew jack but now i know some. next prodject fibre glassing dash n door inside then i'll respray

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry for late delay. but heres sum pics before set up.

This is my first replacement of speakers kenwoods fitted perfectly great sound no problems.

This is my amp made by Shark great quality of amp and happy with it.

Here are the Fusion rears.

and here is my very impressive sub! the SLR 12" 1200w! i got for £10 lol.

and here are the replacement fronts

heres the worst damage but i am getting rid of the doors soon.
i got carryed away with the sanding....

·
Registered
38 Posts
how comes the front speakers are in the front doors like that? They are supposed to go in the footwells dude! The tweets (if you have a component set) go into the doors.

Get the mids down into the footwells and you will have a much better quality of sound, better midbass and stereo imaging.

:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
dont know how far along you are with it all, but you should route the power cable to the amp along a different track to the speaker wires (ie you shouldn't send all the wires along the same way through the car) as the electromagnetic field around the power cable will affect the signal through the speaker and RCA cables.

Reactions: RYM

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Did you remove the seats and carpet like stomper suggested?

I always do this as it enables you to find the best route and ensure that wires avoid each other or cross over other wires as few times as possible.

The only problem with running the power cable down the passenger side is this is where the wiring for the rear of the car runs and so can often cause feedback.

Before anyone mentions suppressors and what not... they're crap! They do not cure the problem, they hide it:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.