BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Advice on which model to buy

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  DSK 
#1 ·
Hi lads, I am an audi driver at present, but I am looking longingly at the E46 ci coupes. My current car is an A4 1.8T 163bhp so want more power, and preferably an auto as I am sick of changing gears.....it is a drag I can do without after nearly 30 years of driving.

So the question is - which is the best motor to go for in terms of reliability / problem avoidance?

Choices are 330ci, 330d, 325ci - I want the burble of the six so the 4 pots are out.

Is steptronic the only auto or is there a plain auto? I see some folk think the slushbox is unreliable, but surely it cant be that bad can it?

I would take a manual if I had to as long as the clutch is light and the shift smooth. Im sick of notchy gearchanges - a-la the Audi box. Its crap - and so is the clutch action (way too high bite, and common on all A4's)

So what do you guys recommend in the BMW stable? It will likely be a facelift model since I like the look of the lights better.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
cheers mate, that is appreciated. I am especially interested in ex-audi drivers opinions since its relevent to my situation :)

I am torn between the 330i and 330d, and they are at the top end of my budget but do seem to be the best choice. I think a lot of folk have caught on to the amazing 330d engine and it keeps the prices up, where the 330i seems to be scary to some people and prices are lower. I dont mind a bit of extra road tax and the fuel consumption according to whatcar is about 7mpg better on the diesel model - not as much as I imagined!

Putting that with the high price of diesel, you pay £1 more per gallon for diesel, and only get 7 more miles, then it doesnt seem that good a deal - but probably the diesel motor wont dip too far down when getting a bit of a caning where the 330i could probably hit single digits lol

Discussion starter · #11 ·
cheers lads. I absolutely hate changing gear - I want to be able to relax, but still be able to give it some if and when the opportunity arises. I really dont see why people get so hung up on manuals!

Why does it make a better drive? Seems to me not having to change gear yourself is one less thing to have to do in addition to concentrating on the road. It doesnt make you feel more involved, just gives you more to do, like if we had to hand-signal cos indicators were for lazy drivers.....driving isn't a job for me, its a pastime, but a lot of the time its a chore :)

Anyhoo, I have had a broad mix of manuals and auto's over the years and can think of no good reason to have a manual, and plenty of reasons to have an auto. Hopefully the car will be new enough to miss the problems with the older step boxes, and I will get a warranty with it so should be ok. I am still worried that the auto might let go since it obviously has happened to some folk and if I had to take a manual then I would, I just wouldnt be pleased about it, cos im sick of the notchiness of most modern manual cars especially when cold.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
my god, I read the site mentioned earlier on the steptronic transmission failures. It really seems to be year 2000 models most affected but hits from 1997 to 2002 with 99 to 01 the worst ones. The box is made and supplied by GM of France - that says it all. Its a sealed unit and the reverse clutch snaps off quietly with no warning. Its not even on the official recall list but it should be.

If you read the full recall list then it would put you off getting a bmw at all. And that doesnt include the things they havent admitted to.

I must be honest and say the bmw forums seem chocka with faults compared to the audi ones, and I should maybe re-think the whole idea but I love the look of the ci coupe.

This is going to be a hard decision.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
all very good points of view, and thats what I was after. I take it the tip auto's will still change gear by itself even in semi mode? If so thats a shame.

I suppose my usual motoring "days" are a mix of short trips to work or the shop, I live in a small hamlet in the sticks, 6 miles from the nearest town. Usually im driving in the village or on a slightly twisty A-road or 6" wide b-road, only very occasionally using a short length of dual carriageway unless I have to venture to edinburgh a couple of times a month.

I dont drive like a boy racer, but sometimes like to be able to lose a pimply kid in a tarted up jap when on the main roads. I do so many very short journeys that I just wanted to be able to get in and cruise comfortably around. When I do have to drive in town, its so busy compared to my own local roads that driving soon becomes a chore with a manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.