BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Advice on which model to buy

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  DSK 
The steptronic is the only automatic BMW do, its good as you get both options in 1 gearbox. Not heard of any gearbox failures and 'problems'. I think generally the auto will get hammered less (as a generalisation) and that its best to avoid one that been owned by a boy racer type person, as they will have probably revved it up in 'neutral' and then slammed it into 'drive' etc.

Personally the only ones to look for IMO are highly spec'd 330i/330d models. Take both out for a drive and see how you get on.

(if you're comming from an Audi, look at every BMW as a blank canvass as nearly the whole car's tend to be a bloody costly optional extra if you want anything more than 4 wheels and a steering wheel, hence why so many identical models vary vastly between specifications)

Also, fwiw, it may be worth looking at the Alpina B3 3.3 models, you can get some at attractive prices and I'd have one in automatic over any 330i.

I've got a 330ci with the auto box...... 2001 model (E46)
Its great.....
Its also got the "M Sport" goodies (leather, sports seats, multifunction steering wheel, 19" wheels etc....)

Its my first beemer, after scoobies, focus ST, MR2 (mk2), couple of hot hatches......

The quality is first rate.

The auto is real easy (especially in traffic)

It really goes some when you cane it (and thats saying something after a chipped scooby)......

The ultimate driving machine? Maybe, maybe not, but its certainly close.....

The big 6cyl 3 series are good from 0-60, but your chipped Scooby should be in a different league for speed, especially after 70mph ...... The Evo's and Suburu's usually hit 0-100mph within 10-13secs with ease.

My aunts new E90 330i auto gets reduced to a spec in the rear view mirror (on motorwar drag racing moments) of my C70 T5 once it gets the power down.

Look at it another way. More pretige and sporty cars with the bigger grunty engines generally have a some form of an automatic gearbox moving away from the traditional manual. Its quite clear when searching between manual and automatic. As a generalisation, the bigger the car and the engine, the more likely it is to be auto.

All the modern auto's I've had have been amazing, XKR, 996 Turbo trip (family toy), T5, E63 AMG (family wagon). My aunts new E90 330i auto seems to be quite responsive and performs well, but its not the same as bigger engines or turbo'd torque.

Its only in recent years that auto boxes have come along way, being very well refined and tuned to ensure they are a brilliant match to the engine etc. Its only still the basic small capacity cars that may have somewhat unshopisticated auto gearboxes.

Each to their own ............

sounds like an auto will suit your requirements perfectly.

Also, once you have spend a little time with your auto box, you get used to the characteristics of it and can quite easily control the shifts to suit you in normal automatic ('D') mode to give you that little extra few % of fun as and when required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.