BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Im after some advice for my dad, he has just ordered a new X5 which should be here in may.

But he has heard that he may do better deleting the sports suspension set up having the standard as its not as hard.

Anyone heard of this or had any expierence of this?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I've no experience at all, but given the nature/type of car an X5 is, I wouldn't think a sports suspension is really useful at all? Certainly if it's a cost option, I wouldn't bother.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes I can help.

I should begin by stating that I am probably about the same age as your father and drive a highly modified Morgan Plus 8 on sunny days, which has very hard suspension with rear leaf springs - so I know a thing or two about sports suspension and the uncomfortable and annoying ride they give.

Having got fed up with the problems and quality of living 3 years with a Range Rover Sport which was fitted with sports suspension and went round corners like it was on rails, in January, I tested a new X5 M sport with sports suspension for a whole day and found it gave a harsh and jarring ride, especially down country back roads (none worse than around the Holbeach area). Other than the ride I liked the car and went back to the dealer a couple of weeks later to test a X5 M sport with deleted sports suspension against a new standard X5 with the Dynamic pack fitted (sports suspension). The standard X5 fitted with Dynamic Pack is best described as giving a jiggerly or fidgety ride even on smooth roads (if they exist anymore in the UK) and a down right hard and harsh ride on country roads or patched roads (not many unrepaired roads left now). The M sport with the deleted sport suspension (no cost option) was still firm but lost this constant jiggerly feel and the jarring ride. It still gave a firm ride though and it still went round bends and roundabouts without rolling - even when pushed hard. I therefore ordered an M sport and deleted the sports suspension. I don't think you can delete the sport suspension from the Dynamic pack though, but your dad could order the wheels and steering wheel separately.

My advice to your dad would be to delete the sports suspension. My dealer told me they frequently have new owners come back and pay for the sports suspension to be taken off (new springs and shocks) as they find it too hard a ride on UK roads.

Finally to those of you thinking of changing to a Range Rover Sport - don't!

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts