BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

A serious thread for a change! Who'd have thought :D

Been getting a bit of stick from AFCNeal recently (justifiably so) for not getting simple stuff fixed myself and I genuinely want to learn, not just because of the savings but I hate not knowing how to do things :mad

Anyway, a bit of advice would be much appreciated if you don't mind :thumbsup

I literally own ZERO car tools :eek and I need to build a collection. Having seen a load out there I wouldn't really know where I'm best off starting. I will need to get the car lifted, I want to paint the calipers soon plus the rubber moulding under the front skirting is loose, be good to fix that and would like to do the front pads when they come up in a 1000 miles or so. I'd be very grateful if anyone knows of any good starter kits with axle stands etc that'll get me going.

Mods - I did search first but couldn't see anything obvious, sorry if this is a repost... :thumbsup

Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Cant recommend any starter kits Lewy but glad you goin to make a start!

I would say im near the bottom of the league skill and tools wise but youd be surprised how much you can do yourself and how satisfying it is when youve done it! And you know youve saved a few quid.

The toolkit ive got was half price from Argos, down to £25 quid, that i got about 4 years ago and its done me proud. Couple of axle stands are handy, oil tray for changing your oil, a good torch, and plenty patience!

I just got stuck in about and do all my servicing and pads and its easier than you think mate sometimes.

You couldnt get a better forum for when your stuck either could ya:thumbsup

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Machine mart will do you a 2 ton trolley jack and a couple of red and white axle stands in a kit fairly cheap.
Next up would be something like a Halfords Pro ratchet and socket set, a big breaker bar, a set of allen keys, and Halfords also do a nice collection of ratchet spanners.

That should cover most things, after that, it'll be a case of buying specific small tools when you need them.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
As you know, I do little to my car other than change wheels, paint calipers and polish :hihi

But used to do loads on my bike and I always preferred 6 sided sockets to multi-point, don't know what the consensus is on this ?

As mentioned by TheEnd, Machine Mart do some great stuff. I bought a big red tool chest a while back, it always gives me a bit of re-assurance that at least I look like I know what I am doing, but it's great to be able to know where your tools are and find them easily :thumbsup

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Cheers fellas, budget is a factor (isn't it always!) :thumbsup
Always, my mate has snap-on that he has collected over 30 odd years, very nice, but I am sure he could have bought a house by now on what they have cost him :eek

Halfords professional range seems to be well regarded, have they got any deals on the website ?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Always, my mate has snap-on that he has collected over 30 odd years, very nice, but I am sure he could have bought a house by now on what they have cost him :eek

Halfords professional range seems to be well regarded, have they got any deals on the website ?
Got mine valued for insurance purposes 3 years ago, :frown

£11,000 to replace, :eek

·
Registered
6,636 Posts

But it is beautiful to behold, sounds like yours is far more comprehensive though Ronnie, most of his is auto-electric based :thumbsup

·
Registered
6,636 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

And heres me getting all made up coz i got a set of 3 gear pullers and spring compressors couple of months back lol

Still made an arse of changing a top mount right enough and had to get my indy to get the shocker off:silly

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
It is the only thing in my life that is OCD, :hihi

Everything has its place, no plastic trays to waste room, just filled to the brim in a nice order, :D
I get you Ronnie, I spent ages cutting out foam inserts in my tool chest and it's out of bounds for wife and son :hihi

·
Registered
388 Posts
You don't need anything expensive for occasional use. Even using things everyday professionally most halfords tack will last for a couple of years!

My dad and I have worked on cars and agric machines all our working lives until recently (my father-in-law was manager of a printing firm and I went to work there when need more money for a house and helped dad part-time but when I was earning 35k and getting holidays, pension, double and triple OT and bonuses and not having to chase payment, dad decided it was more sensible to follow until retirement so we just do the odd thing for people with more money than sense and our own stuff,,,which is never ending!! Not mega money I know but we live in the back of beyond so no passing trade for workshop so we more or less doubled our income and turn away a lot of work coz we can go and earn £400 for an OT shift, which for a muppet like me that left education at 16 to work is bl**dy good.....oh, you should see my missus too!) so having moved 30 mins from our workshop the things I have taken with me and see as must have are:
Diag reader
Socket and spanner set (including torx, allen etc)
Screw drivers
Hacksaw
Lump hammer
Electrical kit (volt meter, connections etc)

If I need to do anything much I'll go to the workshop but if I didn't have that I'd want:

Ramps and trolley jack
Cheap mig welder (anyone who might be worried about doing their own shouldn't be, just read a book to do the obvious safety things and it's soooo easy, doesn't have to look pretty to work!)

I think I'm gonna have to leave it at that coz I could go on for ever about what I really, really need but probably don't actually!

I think everyone should do as much as they can to their car, it's good fun, you're more likely to know what's gone wrong and know things have been done right, it feels good to know you've done stuff yourself and you can save an absolute fortune!!

And you especially lewy are obviously an intelligent guy so, although you'll probably balls a few things up occasionally (lol), you'll be alright.
To do thing's like 'the end' does you've obviously got to know what's what or you'll end up with a 10k ornament (a very pretty one though) but for basic maintenance and repairs you'll do alright!

And sorry about the life story!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts