BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, firstly I hope its in the right section if not then appologies, im on the hunt for an e30 touring and im stuck on wether to get the 320 or 325, I have just recently sold an audi s6 avant v8 that gave a glorious 15mpg and I dont really want to get some thing just as bad on fuel as it will be my everyday car, also is there any thing that I should be on the look out for in particular as the car will be 20yrs ish old, any advice will be greatly appreciated

many thanks matt

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The 320i is under powered IMO, they came with about 139 bhp. The E30 325i (i used to have one and its the car I miss most!)has about 179bhp but delivers it blisteringly well!

Common faults on 325i's used to be cracked cylinder heads, broken rear coil springs, worn suspension bushes and rust on the bulkhead. In fact when I was at college I made the following webpage for the 325i, it got a list of common faults, what to look for when inpsecting, technical specification etc etc. Also, can't remember if I mentioned it in the article linked to below but, E30 body panels can rust from the inside.

http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/dsk/bmwe30325isport.html

Trouble with these cars today is that you have to ensure that the cars have been cared for, rather than just polished up on the outside! I would want to see evidence that the cars have had things like HT leads replaced, replacement air flow metres, regular coolant and fluid changes, cleaned injectors etc. A 325i in good order should be very impressive in terms of how strongly the engine pulls especially as they were not diluted due to to modern emissions nonsene.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The 320i is under powered IMO, they came with about 139 bhp. The E30 325i (i used to have one and its the car I miss most!)has about 179bhp but delivers it blisteringly well!

Common faults on 325i's used to be cracked cylinder heads, broken rear coil springs, worn suspension bushes. In fact when I was at college I made the following webpage for the 325i, it got a list of common faults, what to look for when inpsecting, technical specification etc etc.

I agree with DSK, I used to have an E30 320i, they are really underpowered and are really disappointing. I then got rid and bought a E30 325i sport and the power hike was unbelievable, fuel economy was not bad as long as u did'nt constantly boot it but I guess that comes with the territory...........but that old 325i always put a stupid smirk on my face:D

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
In fact when I was at college I made the following webpage for the 325i, it got a list of common faults, what to look for when inpsecting, technical specification etc etc. Also, can't remember if I mentioned it in the article linked to below but, E30 body panels can rust from the inside.

You kept that quiet :shifty:

Good work and write up DSK :thumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for the replys guys very helpfull, just out of interest what mpg approx were you getting

cheers matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
many thanks, one more question sorry forgot to put it in the first post, should I avoid the automatics as there seem to be plenty about, i dont mind the auto just will avoid one if there not to good

cheers matt

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
You kept that quiet :shifty:

Good work and write up DSK :thumbsup

I actually forgot that even existed, its been 10 years lol! Amazed its still there :eek

Feel free to make use of it or I will will cut & paste if if you want me to do an E30 325i buying guide

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Oh alos, when you go looking at some, it may be worth noting that the genuine BMW body kits for the sport models had small 'M-Technic' logos embossed into each skirt/spoiler. If these are not present, the car most likely has an after market body kit and I#d be inclined to think its seen the wrong side of a hedge in its life!

These cars were awesome, but more than what people could cope with who didn't know what they were doing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
go get ya self a 325i sport , my opinion best cars bmw made , get ya self agood one , it will never let you down. ive got one garaged, it does high 20s on a run . about 20 round town . best bits opening the window and listening to it growl. manuels are better , on fuel , i think

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
go get ya self a 325i sport , my opinion best cars bmw made , get ya self agood one , it will never let you down. ive got one garaged, it does high 20s on a run . about 20 round town . best bits opening the window and listening to it growl. manuels are better , on fuel , i think
strangely i was looking at some on autotrader, just thinking of getting one and shoving it in the garage and perhaps taking it to a BMW show every once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
strangely i was looking at some on autotrader, just thinking of getting one and shoving it in the garage and perhaps taking it to a BMW show every once in a blue moon.
go for it you know you wanna!!! they look nice sound nice the way they sit on the road , perfect, and if you look around theres still some nice ones about, , getting old now though , lot of them , heading for the crushers .. , so be quick,

·
Registered
753 Posts
Knowing how much work i need to do on my project 325i sport, its still a joy to drive and the noise is just great :). IMO its one of the best looking cars bmw made and mine is 2 years younger than me lol. Biggest problem i have found is rust really. Battery tray, boot floor, bits here and there behind the kit and the inside of the roof as it has no rust proofing :frown. If ya pop the sunroof into tilt position you can see if its rusting on the inside, mainly seem to be prone where the b post joins the roof but as its been said tis a 20 odd year old car. Mine seem to do about 20-25 mpg at 70mph on a run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts