BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All,

Have recently bought my first BMW, a 2016 525d (automatic).

Ive had it for just over a week and was bought from a local BMW dealership.

Today has been the first day I have drove the car without the AC/Radio on or a window undone and I have notice a noise.

Im really not a 'car guy' so apologies if its something completely normal or obvious but as my first BMW and also the most expensive car ive bought I just wanted to double check in case it was something serious and needs attention ASAP.

Basically the noise kicks in when i get to around 16,000-19,000 rpm. It is not a loud noise, which if was there from when I bought is probably why I have never heard it, unless it is a new noise of course.

It sounds like a feint grinding noise. I dont want to confuse the sound but to me it seems it get slightly fast as the revs get higher.

However the noise only is only present during those rev counts and goes again when the car (automatic transmission) shifts up a gear.

The noise comes back each time I get between those rev counts before the car shifts gear and it goes again.

Where I live there is not many places to really go past 40mph so I can only confirm it happens for at least the first 3 gears shifts possibly the 4th. Being a 8 gear automatic I dont know if that means the first 3/4 gears or whether they block shift at all and it means its also happening in higher gears.

To me the car seems to be driving fine although I haven't had it that long so cant comment with full confidence.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated even if its to ease my concerns.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you mean a turbo noise that is normal or one that shouldn't be there.

In all honestly im not great with cars and not even sure mine has a turbo? sounds pathetic i know

I have emailed the dealership I bought the car from as still under warranty with their approved used scheme.

He has said he will book it in if I wanted to be looked at from my nearest bmw dealership just didnt want to waste their time or my time if its not actually a problem.

Are turbo noises not normally a whistle? If so this sound is not liek that and seems more a mechanical grind, sort of sounds rotational if you get what i mean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts