BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas,

I have a 330ci, but am considering purchasing an E36 M3 Evolution as a weekend car (about 5K is my budget) - estoril blue preferably.

What do you think of this car? It will be higher mileage, should that be a worry? I only want it as a weekend car for a year or 2 for some fun (as I can't afford an E46 M3 and have always had a softspot for the E36 M3)!

Anybody have an experiences with this car? How does it compare to :

a) e46 M3
b) e46 330 ci

Cheers, :D

·
Banned
478 Posts
Hi Fellas,

I have a 330ci, but am considering purchasing an E36 M3 Evolution as a weekend car (about 5K is my budget) - estoril blue preferably.

What do you think of this car? It will be higher mileage, should that be a worry? I only want it as a weekend car for a year or 2 for some fun (as I can't afford an E46 M3 and have always had a softspot for the E36 M3)!

Anybody have an experiences with this car? How does it compare to :

a) e46 M3
b) e46 330 ci

Cheers, :D
Theres plenty of people with M3's on here, hopefully they'll be further answers to your question shortly ;)...

As for higher mileage.. Well, this is absolutely fine but an absolute must, is full service history, walk away from the car without a comprehensive history folder...:thumbsup

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Not quite sure how to answer this question!

Mileage doesn't scare me on the M3's. I know a few people with 180k + examples. There seams to be loads just sub 100k which leads me to believe that clocking is fairly common.

The market for the E36 M3 has crashed since last year. Any evo would have got £5-7k last year. They are now going for £3-5k.

As for the comparison, the evo would be much much quicker than the 330 and about the same as the E46 M3 (due to weight). Whilst they do have a lot of torque the evos really need to be revved to get them to fly. The handling is sublime although many will need a bit of a suspension refresh by now. It will be a lot less refined than the E46 330 and will not feel that much quicker until about 5k rpm.

Things to look out for would be noisy vanos units, weak gearboxes, noisy bottom ends, accident damage!

Whilst they are not expensive to run for their performance, they still have the running costs of a £40k car.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i'd go with the standard M3,

the grim stories i hear about the twin-vanos system is enough to put me off the EVO's,

plus I have driven both you won't be missing out on a huge amount IMHO:yes

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
i'd go with the standard M3,

the grim stories i hear about the twin-vanos system is enough to put me off the EVO's,

plus I have driven both you won't be missing out on a huge amount IMHO:yes
Sorry but I disagree. The six speed box, dual vanos and extra capacity is a big difference.

A lot has been made of vanos issues but from what I can see it has been blown out of proportion. The fear of big bills is due to BMW replacing noisy units rather than repairing them often at a cost of £2k.

There is a lot you can do to service your vanos and to hopefully extend it's life. If the worse should happen you can now buy reconditioned units from DR vanos. Unless the seals go and you lose oil the worse that is going to happen is it jams and you lose a bit of performance, the car will still be driveable and plenty quick enough.

Here are two links on Vanos that may be of use:

http://www.drvanos.com/euro_m3.htm

http://mukerji.co.uk/category/vanos/

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
To be honest, look for a genuine fewer owner car with fsh and dont worry too much about the mileage. Fewer owners = the car has not been thrashed as quick thrills beween owners. There are some really nice sounding examples of 98/99 cars for around £5-6k. Do not pay any more than this for typical late model cars.

BMWs are notorious for being clocked. You just have to see the number of cars that are quickly racking up the miles on the E46 M3 side .... in a few years they'll all be advertised with 80-100K on the clock.

Fwiw, also consider a Mercedes AMG C36/C43 V8, these are much more honest cars and even more rare.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Fellas. I'd probably look to go for an EVO, but need to test drive one still. As it's only a weekend car, hopefully too much won't go wrong...now the search is on to find a good example at a good price!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

I would not be too concerned with high mileage as long as it has service history as these are big engined cars. I own a 94 3ltr m3 and these cars are a joy to drive, i have not driven a evo version but i would'nt think ud be disapointed.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.