BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents,

Over the years I have owned 4 BMWs, an e30 1.8, then 3 M3s (e36, e36 Schnitzer, e46 cls) then I joined the dark side and for past 7 years own a JaguarXF portfolioS to tow my caravan, yes, sorry I have a mobile villa! ( my mates threatened to knee-cap me if I put a tow bar on my M3!).

So... I want to come back to the BMW clan and looking to buy a 640D with all the toys. I need advice on will it tow a caravan as good as a Jaguar XF ( I remember the back springs snapping on my M3 where a common fault), can a tow bar be fitted? Does anyone else tow with a 640D?

Basically the choice is between a new XFS or 640D.

Hope you can point me in the right direction. Thanks Alan.:confused

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi,
I had a 635 and now have a 640. It has enormous torque and will pull anything. The only thing I would check is availability of a tow bar. The 635 was not approved for towing and I'm not sure if the 640 is either.
Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm not entirely sure about the 640 but I'm sure the 5-Series Touring comes with self leveling rear suspension for exactly this sort of thing so a 535d touring would be ideal for the job.
You can definitely get factory a tow bar set up for it too.
The 5/6 are basically the same chassis/engine/trans though so I would expect you could order self leveling suspension as an option on the 6, but don't quote me on that. Not sure about the tow bar though.

I don't know about the specs for the Jag, but my guess is a 535d touring would be more suited to your requirements than a 640d. Technically there's not a huge amount of difference between them, I suppose it depends on how much you want looks vs how much you want practicality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts