BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering if any one has added Dr lube transmission shudder fix to there auto boxes and if so how did they do it? Thanks

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have used it in the past.
At a steady speed around 60 mph i would get the vibration noise like i was driving on the rumble strip.
I put 2 tubes of that stuff in the auto box and it was as smooth as silk for a time.
It can last 200 miles or 5000 miles but it won't last for ever.
A passat i had for a short time had a strange vibration so put some in that vibration gone so confirmed the torque converter was on the way out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is the only fill plug is on the side of sump and not sure if there is a special procedure like when doing oil change or whether I can just pull plug and put it in but certainly heard good things about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There won’t be a special procedure as you are just adding to existing fluid,in theory when you put it in the fluid should start to leak back out assuming it has correct amount in already and on level ground etc.

Mine has the slight shudder at certain speeds,having new bridge seals,sleeve,sump and fluid next week will see how it behaves then.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yes just put it in.
The problem is the lock up clutches in the torque converter and not the auto box itself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes I’ve used it on two cars, both 6-speed
It works, but stops working after about 3000-5000 miles. Only ever used one tube per gearbox.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iv had a new oil, sleeve and sump done about 2000 miles and was fine until one day got a bit of flare in 5th gear. Since then it's been fine in 5th but get a very small shudder on gear changes. I know it's the TC. But only bought car 6 months ago and just spent over £2000 having a service, crank pulley, all rear suspension done, DPF off and remap, glow plug and relay. If I take the plug out of transmission to put Dr tranny in will I have to replace any oil that comes out? Does the tranny need to be warm? Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just get access to the fill plug, open it and use a syringe to push it in. It’ll mix itself when driving around for 10-15 mins. No oil should come out if it’s cold or under 40 degrees C. Well it didn’t on mine.

If you want to be extra careful, have a measuring cup underneath the fill plug when you open it. If some does come out, you can put some oil in the syringe (as you’ve measured it) and put some back in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll do what you suggest over the weekend. I know it won't cure the problem but atleast buy me some time.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I had a refurbished/re-manufactured tc fitted in a place in Birmingham on the e46 320d cost me less than £500.
Not got the car now but i know the present owner and 5 years later still good.
The place i went to recondition them onsite and it's fascinating to see them cutting the tc in half and fitting new gut's then a welding machine putting it back together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts