BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing my temper with a new member I wanted to resassure myself that I wasn't just wasting my time here. As Nelson Muntz said to Lisa Simpson after she produced the school yearbook "If you hadn't done it some other dork would have".

So I had a look at the amount of actual regular contributors and the first shock was that with just over 2000 posts I'm in the top 20!

Second was that out of 56350 members almost 42200 of them have never posted anything and 48800 have only ever made two posts or less. Only 8200 have ever made 5 posts or more.

Getting to the top end of the scale only 1800 people have made 100 posts or more. Take out of that those that also use the forum as an extension of social networking etc. and I'm willing to bet there are less than 100 people actually contributing regularly and trying to help people on this forum.

You know who you are so well done on behalf of the 42200 who didn't even bother to say hello.

·
Seriously Platinum BFuk Member
135 Posts
For once, I feel really special! Bearing in mind I have no technical skill to share, its amazing I have achieved 100 posts. (And even then, it took me about a year to get there!).

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
I like hepling if I can as I remember what it was like when i started "fixing" my cars -admitedly I was just 12 at the time (i started early haha) but i basically broke most things i touched! so its nice to give a bit of advice to people stuck now that Ive picked up a few tricks that I can share.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Getting to the top end of the scale only 1800 people have made 100 posts or more. Take out of that those that also use the forum as an extension of social networking etc. and I'm willing to bet there are less than 100 people actually contributing regularly and trying to help people on this forum.
Don't forget that the social networking posts(generally posted in Open Topic or General BMW Discussions) don't count towards your post count as these forums have that function turned off. :thumbsup

My post count would be in the millions otherwise. :rofl

·
BFuk Resident Design Guru
2,834 Posts
Don't forget that the social networking posts(generally posted in Open Topic or General BMW Discussions) don't count towards your post count as these forums have that function turned off. :thumbsup

My post count would be in the millions otherwise. :rofl
mine would show maybe one or two over my post count.............. :shifty:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I must admit I don't consider myself a -major- contributor but I was actually quite shocked at the way people spoke to billy.

So just sticking my head in just to say thank you (again) billy, as you've personally helped me and I'm sure a majority of people on this forum.

Oh and hello.

·
Seriously Platinum BFuk Member
135 Posts
I must admit I don't consider myself a -major- contributor but I was actually quite shocked at the way people spoke to billy.

So just sticking my head in just to say thank you (again) billy, as you've personally helped me and I'm sure a majority of people on this forum.

Oh and hello.
I'm sensing I missed something. Again.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Second was that out of 56350 members almost 42200 of them have never posted anything and 48800 have only ever made two posts or less. Only 8200 have ever made 5 posts or more.
And those 48800 can't title a thread correctly :rofl

I... must admit I don't consider myself a -major- contributor but I was actually quite shocked at the way people spoke to billy.
And the posts have been deleted :thumbsup

·
Registered
488 Posts
...just posting to see how many posts im up to!

...but on technical issues some like me cant contribute as significantly as others. i'm on here reading stuff more than i actually write but its not due to a grab and take attitude...just that i dont know as much. do try to put in my 2 pence where i can tho.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
589 Posts
...just posting to see how many posts im up to!

...but on technical issues some like me cant contribute as significantly as others. i'm on here reading stuff more than i actually write but its not due to a grab and take attitude...just that i dont know as much. do try to put in my 2 pence where i can tho.
Totally agree with the above, Had my BMW (1st) for a year now and still (Thanks to this forum) learning more and more about her, but i still like to help out other's if and when possible :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I can see where the OP was going there. Personally I am well happy that enough people with an actual brain are willing to help in here. A number of small issues and problems that were nigging me were solved within a very short time on the forum (thanks again to all those who helped).

But as to how many post? even that can be relative. How many times do you see someone ask a question, have it answered with a link and info, then see them still keep asking, then have someone else add their bit, and more links and info, only to have the OP still keep hitting for reassurance. Often it feels like a poster wants one of us to say the actual phrase 'yes, part A will definitely fit your car without any modification even though it was from a completely different car model' just to either totally be sure, or in many ways it feels like they want you to take resposibility so they can say 'insert name here' said it would fit.

If there is a chart that contains the right info and somebody made the effort to do it, I feel bad if I have to read it all through, find the info, type it out (and risk making an error) and add it to a post rather than say, 'the info is on this link' and have it finished there.

Any time I see a question and someone gives a link, I always look at the link to see what info was given before I bother to add to the thread solely as I cannot see the use of duplicating info if the information is already in place. It then irritates if you see the original person who has been given the answer in the link that I just followed from the same thread they are looking at, then totally disregard the new info and ask the same 'will this fit then?' question.

Using the hedgehog as a description of what i mean (and no I am not adding a link)

OP Somebody told me the hedgehog makes my e46 heater go wrong, how do I replace it

answer- yes it can- see link for full guide

OP so where is it it?

Answer- its in the guide

OP what does it look like?

answer from another poster adds link to picture and another guide (though it was already in the first guide)

OP is it hard to do the job?

Answer - Its in the first answers feckin guide FFS!

This kind of back and forth thing gets irritating really quickly. So much so you end up not reading the thread anymore as short of going down and doing the job for them, there is nothing being gained from any of it. Especially as people who are tyring to help also get drawn into it.

It is all the more frustrating though if what they are asking is a simple 'google' question. Something like 'what is dual climate control?' or what size tyres should be on a 1996 316se?

I am not saying people shouldnt answer these questions, but the answer once given should really be the end of it. It should be turned into 'why didnt they fit a different tyre size, or 'I can get a different set cheaper but they are a different size, will they fit. If such a thing was in their head, why not ask what size should it have and can you fit different all in the same original question. AAAARGGHH see, getting frustrated myself now and no one to actually rant at for it :hihi

Put simply, I try not to get angry, I just end up adding people and threads to the ignore list that life keeps throwing at me when it all gets too much

on that note, am off to raid the fridge for some alcohol

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am in the same boat as you Gaz, the main reason for joining is for advice from the many knowledgable members who helped me with issues in the first few months of ownership. I will help if I can but my knowledge of BMs is limited. My rear number plate lights failed, after some reading here I had a go and fixed them myself. So I decided to do a quick write up to hopefully help someone with this common problem. IMO you get what you give, if you learn from someone and can use this to help someone else thats what keeps forums ticking along. Just my 3p's worth :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 84 Posts