BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im a noob here and iv got a 318i se reg 99. Its my 1st bmw and 2nd car overal,had a s reg bog standard corsa before so u can understand the upgrade lmao this brings me to my question as im not familier with abs and asc as my corsa didnt have anything like that.in the snow is the car not meant to stop when i brake? I found myslf having to pul the handbrake nearing give ways n the car wouldnt stil come to a halt, and i was doin 10mph max.sorry to make it long and any feedback would be appreciated.
-Shaggy

·
Registered
233 Posts
if your brakes are not stopping you and your having to use the hand brake i suggest you stop driving immediatly and to tow your car to a garage and I dont mean with a rope, either by your local garage or a proper towing vehicle,

If its just a case of your car skidding then I would suggest you maybe check your tyres as doing 10mph you should stop in snow. Also if your going through thick snow your brakes might be getting wet and there is no friction between the pad and disk, so I would get out of the snow and apply your brake slowly to disperse the moisture

Also the Abs/ASC is designed to stop your wheels individually, someone else will explain better but it applies the brake basiclly so no it wouldnt not let you brake but would do the opposite and brake for you for instances when your skidding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think its because of moisture because when i try to apply the brakes while drivimg over snow,theirs something previnting me from pressing the pedal down. Thx for your response tho

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
are you braking with the clutch pressed in - if so the ABS will probaly kick in as the wheels will try to lock when braking with the clutch in due to the engine being disengaged from the wheels.

When the ABS kicks in it does feel like something is pushing back on the pedal.

ABS is designed to stop the wheels locking and therefore reduce skiding so that you can keep the car under control (eg still be able to steer)

If you are clutching whilst braking ABS will kick in, also if you brake sharply (maybe even as low as 10MPH) on snow the wheels may lock and so the ABS will come on.

The ASC monitors the speed of each wheel to control the traction of each wheel - if one is spinning it will apply braking automatically to that wheel to so the other can move. In the snow the ASC doesn't help much so it may be better to turn it off if you can.

There's probably better explanations about these but this is all I can manage at thise time of day:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think its what you said bucks, the abs trying to prevent skidding. Thx for the info cos was geting worried about the shyte as we are expecting more snooow! Wohoo! Lol
thx bucks

·
Registered
401 Posts
i think the obvious thing to do is to find a nice open space ie a carpark and slap the brakes on, even in the snow abs wont be much use, my e34 felt like it had a stone stuck in the caliper but it was still workingf correctly, i doubt there is anything wrong with your brakes as you would of felt it on the build up to the snow, my pug felt like it was pulling to one side in the snow really bad wich made me think my little bro might of stole it while i was out and hit a curb but now the snow is no more it feels fine so like i said just find a nice big carpark and test the brakes properly, if they fail on this test its better on that carpark than on the road in a real situation.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
BMW + SNOW = NO NO

It's not a problem with your brakes, it's because you are mental driving in the snow:lol

Any car will lose traction when the brakes are applied on snow:hihi

When driving on snow you have to judge your distance. You can't expect to drive up to the stop line at 10mph and then hit the brakes and expect to stop immediately:rofl

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If your ABS is working then if you press the brakes in snow and the car wants to skid the ABS will 'pulse' the brakes to prevent the whells locking. It does feel wierd the first time it happens but a combination of care and attention and ABS will help you to stop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do 10mph max rym and brake ahead of give way but stil goes forward not skiding tho. Wel i read up and i see its a bmw thing.my mates focus handles better which he rubs in my face lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to the world of rear wheel driving :hihi...disadvantage in the snow, but the advantages are, no torque steer, better weight distribution, and better handling in dry conditions. Rub that in your mates face come summer :D

·
Banned
478 Posts
I do 10mph max rym and brake ahead of give way but stil goes forward not skiding tho. Wel i read up and i see its a bmw thing.my mates focus handles better which he rubs in my face lol
Yes, front wheel drive cars will handle better in snow.

But it snows 3-4 days a year, so the other 361 or so days, you can rub his face in all of the tyre smoke you will be making from drifting! :hihi.... Which of course, he cant really do.....

·
Registered
401 Posts
i dunno my little pug loves to drift, not as much smoke but the screams are just as loud!

·
Banned
478 Posts
i dunno my little pug loves to drift, not as much smoke but the screams are just as loud!
They have the lift off oversteer dont they, is it a 106 or a 205 or summat?

·
Registered
401 Posts
205 and yea plenty of lift of oversteer although i prefer left foot brakin as i can keep the throttle pinned and get it to slide a bit longer, obviously it wont ever be as fun as a rwd car but driftin anythin fwd is rewarding and usually puts more skidders in your pants than rwd...back on topic tho it might be worth having a nosey through the paperwork for your car and having a look whats been done on it, might be that the brakes need a good overhaul anyways

·
Banned
478 Posts
Your ABS in my opinion is working normally, if when you press the pedal (on the snow of course) and the wheels lock up, and the brake pedal feels like it has a momma bears vibrator behind it, then that is normal. The ABS system is trying to stop you locking your wheels, which of course it will fail. If it does it when you have hardly any pressure on the pedal, I.E. not braking much at all, then the most likely thing it will be is an ABS sensor on one of the wheels.

Reactions: shaggy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your ABS in my opinion is working normally, if when you press the pedal (on the snow of course) and the wheels lock up, and the brake pedal feels like it has a momma bears vibrator behind it, then that is normal. The ABS system is trying to stop you locking your wheels, which of course it will fail. If it does it when you have hardly any pressure on the pedal, I.E. not braking much at all, then the most likely thing it will be is an ABS sensor on one of the wheels.
Huh? wheels locking up - normal? fail?
Me confused here.

Wheels should NOT lock up. Tyre adhesion/max sticking power is greatest JUST as the wheels are about to stop, if they stop you get reduced braking effect.
ABS keeps the wheels just on the point of stopping by applying and releasing the brakes many times per second. The wheels should keep turning so you can steer.

ABS will not stop you on a penny if you drive above the road conditions.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Huh? wheels locking up - normal? fail?
Me confused here.

Wheels should NOT lock up. Tyre adhesion/max sticking power is greatest JUST as the wheels are about to stop, if they stop you get reduced braking effect.
ABS keeps the wheels just on the point of stopping by applying and releasing the brakes many times per second. The wheels should keep turning so you can steer.

ABS will not stop you on a penny if you drive above the road conditions.
I should have been a little more clear....

On the snow of course!

If there is no friction on the road ie snow/ice, you will still lock up, ABS or no ABS. I did not say the wheels locking up is normal for normal conditions! but in the snow/ice it really wont matter, except cars with ABS will still feel the ABS cutting in through the brake pedal. If the wheels lock up or you get the symptoms i have described above on NORMAL road conditions, its an ABS sensor.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If there is no friction on the road ie snow/ice, you will still lock up, ABS or no ABS.
Sorry, I think your wrong there. ABS - Anti lock brakes.

Then again if there is a fault with the car then, yes the car will revert to non ABS/plenty skid/wheel lock.

We're probably arguing about different things here. Both right and both wrong. :lol

·
Banned
478 Posts
Reactions: Wonkydog

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nobody loves a smart arse! :hihi

Kudos to you. :thumbsup
Me bad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts