BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, got too much time on my hands (in between contracts) so I thought I would invest in some products to help keep my car clean. Any advice on a dummys guide to detailing would be great:

Here's what i bought out of halfrauds, expensive stuff but would rather have quality than shoddity :)

All meguires
07.99 alloy spoke brush
12.99 water magnet
14.99 microfibre
10.99 wash mit
01.99 tesco micro fibre (i think that was the cost)

48.00 Total approx

2 x 79p buckets will be bought from tesco shortly.

So am I missing something to do a good job mysef? I mean I know I have no shampoo there but I have something left over from ages ago. I have some glass cleaner lying around too.

I was thinking about the waxing and stuff but could not find any clay bars in halfrauds.

You are supose to clay and then seal with a good wax right?

Oh and one last thing, I have biege interior (leather), the mats always get the dirt no matter who sits or what the weather is. Is there a good foam / shampoo I can spray on and mix with water or does it have to be a hoover type machine thingamy to get results?

Any andvice for a total amateur who wants to keep his car clean would be gratefully recieved. It's a 530d E60 2005 metallic silver.

You can tell I am a noob I bet :) Red :)

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Red, I had beige in my first e46. Having tried to clean the mats repeatedly and always being disappointed I chucked them in the washing machine! All the cardboard stiffener disintegrates but they come out spotless, and they do lie flat once dry, I even used to tumble dry them.

Not the recommended route, but the mats looked clean even after the 140k miles they did !!

Ref car shampoo, I bought a snow foam lance for the pressure washer from a detailing supply company in Stoke on Trent, cover the car in foam, let it dwell, and rinse off, then hand shampoo again.

I bought a load of stuff from them before Christmas. Got up Christmas morning and my wife had intercepted the delivery in the days leading up to the big day and wrapped it up for me...what a fraud she is !!!

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ha ha cool - that's a nice story. My wife can't understand why I love my car so, to her it's just a piece of metal with tyres. To me it's a lil bit special :)

I won't try the washing machine until I am desperado, but thanks for that, never considered it. I may try a cheapo black one just to preserve the life a bit.

The foam lance / stroke pressure wash is a good idea but I am at least 150 yards away from where I park and it's kinda awkward to run a power cable and hose like that.

Just determined to keep it clean with all the muck on the winter roads etc. May try 2 hand shampoos etc or look for a degreaser.... oh that;s one thing I have missed!

Cheers again Mark :) Red :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi mate,

I bought this from Halfords http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_253057_langId_-1_categoryId_165527#dtab

Really good bit of kit.... every time i wash my car i glance over it with the quick detailer spray you get with it and it comes up great.

Also make sure you get some back to black tyre shine on the wheels and use some autosol on the exhaust... mine looked quite corroded but this bought it back to mirror finish... attention to detail and all!!!! :D

I love washing my car... do it twice a week come rain or shine... i even make sure the mrs has clean shoes before she gets in it otherwise i make her get out and bang the mat!!!......She hates it!!!! haha... So i know what you mean about looking after your car!

Gary

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
You will laugh at this one..

I have a work colleague who has just bought a 12 month old Merc SL350 as the price of them has plummeted. Fair play. BUT, it is always filthy. He has just been banging on about these shoes he has bought for £200. I suggested he take them back, get some cheaper ones and buy a pressure washer.

He didn't get it and suggested that 'I must still have it with the girls' with such a suggestion......

·
Registered
27 Posts
I second that about the slippery slope! I just dashed £60 at Cleanyourcar.co.uk on a bunch of new stuff and I forgot the tyre dressing and wax... can't wait for a decent day to play with my new clay kit though :)

Nick

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I second that about the slippery slope! I just dashed £60 at Cleanyourcar.co.uk on a bunch of new stuff and I forgot the tyre dressing and wax... can't wait for a decent day to play with my new clay kit though :)

Nick
Good man Nick. I think they power tools are out of my skill set tho, will take a lot of practice to buff (!?) correctly and plus i have no garage or private space to work in.

Just keep it ***** and span will do me :) Ddi you get all the brushes and cloths like i did? You gor a specific shampoo or product range matey? Red :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
One thing you might want to buy Red, is a grit guard for one of your buckets. This way, you can use your two buckets, one to wash and one to rinse your mit out inbetween washing. If you put the grit guard in the bucket holding the clean warm water, it will ensure you get no grit on your cloth/mit and scratch your car.

Just a thought

·
Registered
194 Posts
thanks ray t! You know I've often searched for one and could never find one. Are they essential or just good practice? I thought of maybe rubbing the mitt in the clean bucket to shake off any grit etc before re-applying. Cheers dude! Red :)
I use gritguards in my buckets but wouldn't say they are essential, with them in the bucket you do get into a good practice of rubbing the mitt against them after each application, it sits an inch of the bottom, without them you wouldn't have the need to dip the mitt so deep into the bucket where the muck lies.

This guide below may be of use if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f4/detailing-product-guide-wash-maintenance-t6262/

·
Registered
194 Posts
You are supose to clay and then seal with a good wax right?

Oh and one last thing, I have biege interior (leather), the mats always get the dirt no matter who sits or what the weather is. Is there a good foam / shampoo I can spray on and mix with water or does it have to be a hoover type machine thingamy to get results?

Any andvice for a total amateur who wants to keep his car clean would be gratefully recieved. It's a 530d E60 2005 metallic silver.

You can tell I am a noob I bet :) Red :)
If you clay then ideally you want to use a paint cleanser followed by a wax, Autoglym super resin polish which is an all in one product which cleans, polishes and protects, not a bad product and has fillers in it which will hide some light scratches to a certain degree, durability time is limited with this product though but it's readily available. You can also top this of if you wish with a decent hard wax thats available from most online stores depending on budget.

Most all purpose cleaners will clean carpets, may need a brush and a fair amount of elbow grease followed by a good scrub with a microfibre to soak up some moisture.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wish I could get my girlfriend to remove her shoes first. I think if she ever leaves me it will be becuase of my cars.

Glass, pain in the ass, and the above mentioned lady told me to use windowline (the stuff from tescos) and a news paper to dry and buff... Low and behold, F*'k me its like crystal!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good man Nick. I think they power tools are out of my skill set tho, will take a lot of practice to buff (!?) correctly and plus i have no garage or private space to work in.

Just keep it ***** and span will do me :) Ddi you get all the brushes and cloths like i did? You gor a specific shampoo or product range matey? Red :)
Arg, my thread subscription was turned off!

Red: I went for Chemical Guys Maxi-suds II and love it to bits. It lubricates really well and smells delicious! (I wouldn't recommend drinking it though). I lather it on using a CYC Super Spray and leave it to soak for a few minutes and it comes up great :)

Got a bunch of Megs microfibres and a wheel brush while I was at it. More bits to come soon!

Nick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts