BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some are I am sure aware, I have had an issue with a non BMW sludger that had a snapped glow plug....:frown

A 2004 Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTI with a Fiat diesel engine in it, only covered 41k, anyway thanks to Simon and his help, today I managed to extract the offending glow plug without removing the cylinder head.:D

The reason that I decided to try and remove it without the cylinder head removal was simply cost. The machine shop only wanted £40 to remove the glowplug, but advised on facing the cylinder head (which requires the valves being removed on this model) £120. Then there was the cost of the head gasket set and new head bolts £100, the timing tool £50, a new timing chain, guides and gasket £150 plus the service items including oil and filter and new glow plugs.

The job also requires the sump to be removed and it's quoted at 7.5 hours labour:frown

Thanks to Simons help and tooling, it took me just over two hours to remove with the snapped glow plug with no damage to the head and required nothing more than new glow plugs and a service....:thumbsup

Thanks Simon, god I owe you one....:thumbsup

P.S. DD I still hate diesels....:hihi

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could not have done it without his help, the owner of the vehicle is a very good family friend who could not afford to have this job done and I really owe them big time for all that they have done for my family....;) This is my way of repaying them...;)

Simon went above and beyond anything that could be expected of him for ANYONE, never mind a fellow forum member:thumbsup This is a public thankyou as he did all this for nowt.

It is very apparent that this glow plug had never been fitted correctly, the tip had not been seating correctly and was probably loose at the start of it's life, then coked up and corroded in place.

Still not having a diesel though:shifty:

Not really sure how or why, but this vehicle REALLY struggled to start in the recent cold spell, even with three brand new plugs fitted in the other locations - I have been told that if one goes down then non of them work, not sure if that is true though:confused

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
what tools did you use an easi out stud extractor or similar?

makes me smile knowing 2 parts off my car are bombing around in slowtechs car now doin the business...

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
:lol Bang goes the patent rights :shifty::hihi

I'm not the 1st to receive help and parts foc so its only right and fair to help fellow members when you can.

Glad they did the job Kevin :thumbsup

Cleric abu hamza doggy's next sermon on the sludger infidels will be next week...:hihi:hihi
:lol:lol:lol Like you could wait that long dd :lol:lol:lol

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:lol Bang goes the patent rights :shifty::hihi

I'm not the 1st to receive help and parts foc so its only right and fair to help fellow members when you can.

Glad they did the job Kevin :thumbsupl
Patent rights are all yours mate...:thumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts