BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the left lane, a bloody big Tarmac Lorry was in the right lane, then he swapped lanes into my rear wing/bumper/alloy etc. Not huge damage but enough to take it off the road.

Called Post Office Insurance and they tried to put in the hands of an accident management company called Drive-Assist who would take it to an 'approved repairer' I told them I wanted it to go to BMW for repairs but they couldn't guarantee that.

Anyway, I spoke with BMW and they recommended an Accident Management group called 'Accident Exchange' I called them explained the circumstances and they've been superb.

I had a 320d M-sport within 2 hours, my Compact was at Dick Lovett with 6 hours and they claim they will handle all aspects of my claim on my behalf. They recover all costs from the 3rd party and although I had to sign a hire agreement at £143/day, they supply an insurance policy which covers me in the event of them not being able to recover their costs from the 3rd party.

Anyone had any dealings with these guys before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had dealings with drive assist and found them a real pain in the arse, wouldnt go anywhere near them ever again. Really wished that I had got a hire car from the company that were repairing our car.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I used wheels at once when a van rear ended my e46 320ci. I must say they provided a good service. I got a 6 month old volvo 2.4 c30 up until my insurance paid out and they put me in touch with an accident solicitor

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used them and got a Renault Megan for about 3-4 months when i had an oldish golf, Service was good and it hurries up the insurance company.. but they called like every other days instead of getting the info all at once...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I have always used Helphire UK for non fault accidents in the past. Pay £10 admin fee and they do all the rest (even includes their own legal cover which they sorted hassle free via themselves when some twat pulled out infront of my M5 and I t-boned him as a result at 90mph and ended up with severe whiplash putting me out of work for about 6 weeks). They handle all dealings with third party, thrid party insurers, legals and sort out a replacement car asap. You just wait for your repaired car or cheque to be sent to you, its that easy lol.

I have used them on 3 occasions where my previous cars were hit by a third.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw a write up on this company in Jaguar World this month, it was one of the staffs cars and basically they said the company was really efficent and instead of palming you of with a fiesta or micra they would get you a car very similiar to what you drive. The downside was the price they charge the insurance for the car rental and was inferred to be over charging and possibly in the long run putting premiums up for everyone. But if i was in your shoes i would be doing the same

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dick Lovett called today, they are moving the car to bigger bodyshop at Swindon because Bristol isn't equipped to do the job. It needs a new rear quarter panel, bumper and light. Estimate is £3500+.

On a 6 year-old, 122k car, this must be close to being a write-off. It's worth about £6k at the max I'd say. At these figures it's 58% of it's value.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
RicePipe, Sorry to hear about the misfortune:frown

I hope that the company delivers and this proves to make a good experience out of a poor incident:thumbsup

Good Luck

A20 RYM

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw a write up on this company in Jaguar World this month, it was one of the staffs cars and basically they said the company was really efficent and instead of palming you of with a fiesta or micra they would get you a car very similiar to what you drive. The downside was the price they charge the insurance for the car rental and was inferred to be over charging and possibly in the long run putting premiums up for everyone. But if i was in your shoes i would be doing the same
You are dead right - there should actually not be a need for this company if the insurance companies were sensible in the first place. The insurance co is at one end of the scale trying to give you a Nissan Micra and accident exchange at the other end insisting absolutely no compromise whatsoever.... I think most people would be reasonable and accept a run of the mill Mondeo or Vectra as a courtesy car if it kept premiums at a sensible level and everyone were treated the same way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You are dead right - there should actually not be a need for this company if the insurance companies were sensible in the first place. The insurance co is at one end of the scale trying to give you a Nissan Micra and accident exchange at the other end insisting absolutely no compromise whatsoever.... I think most people would be reasonable and accept a run of the mill Mondeo or Vectra as a courtesy car if it kept premiums at a sensible level and everyone were treated the same way.
well said, i had a guy hit my bmw and then try and run away. Lucky for me, he was caught by the police. I had so much hassle from his insurance company, so i got in helphire. My only concern was to protect my ncb and not get higher insurance.

In the end, i was giving a 57 plate 3.4 boxster. Now it is a lovely car, but i would of taken any car.

It seems insurance companies wanna argue to save a penny, but in the process they are spending a pound. The total cost to his insurance was just under £10k for a wing, repaired bumper, indercator and refurb alloy.

They argued over to repair the bumber or just buy a new one for 3 days. That was a grand in hire charges. If they just sort them selfs out, they would save alot of money and then cost us less. Infact, they seem nearly as bad as the banks lol

·
Banned
31 Posts
I dealt with drive Assist when some clown hit my car and drove off without stopping. My car was paid out at £800 when they wrote it off.

Drive assist gave me a brand new people carrier to drive around in for nearly 3 months at £127 a day

I found they had no incentive to chase my claim as by doing nothing they were earning money by renting me the car each day.

They pissed me off at the end though because they had earned thousands of pounds from me but pulled the car giving me no notice even though I had not been paid out as they said the cheque was in the post. And they lit it sit on my drive for over a week before they collected it. So if you have a hire car and they right yours off be ready to buy one sharpish.

whacky

·
Registered
69 Posts
All of this confirms my views that Accident Exchange and other equivalents are actually money grabbing toerags that are not actually helping most of us because they are costing us a fortune in higher premiums - it is just that it feels good when you get a brand new wizzy car after yours has been hit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i work for a bmw approved repairer and and have myself had dealing with drive assist, overall they are a good outfit. as for you wonting it repairing a a bmw place (such as were i work) you have the final say in the matter no matter what the insurance companies tell you and you deff shouldnt have to pay a fee to do so, they tried to do the same with me when someone ran into the back of my compact.

hope this helps snd hope ur not off the road too long !!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked my compact up today, it was repaired at a cost of £4433 (a crazy amount to spend on a £6k car). It was repaired at Dick Lovett and they've done a super job, it's been cleaned up really well and had a full valet throughout. I'm happy.

I gave the 320d M-sport back to Accident Exchange and I can't fault their service either. I covered 2000 miles inthe car and was gutted to part with it.

I'd hate to see the total bill for the accident!

Reactions: Ian S

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the update and I am glad that you have your car back.

Does this mean we can expect to see you at our next South West meet?:rofl
Sorry for the late reply. I'm probably up for a meet if I can borrow the wife's E90 (it looks way nicer than my E46). I'll look in the right thread and give it some thought!

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.