BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As per the title.

My car is a 2014 330d Touring with X-Drive (F31 I think). The Cigar lighter has stopped providing power for my satnav and because of the hot weather now I have noticed that the a/c is not working at all.

They could of course be unconnected but who knows in this day and age!!??

I cannot find a fuse for the lighter, the leaflet with the fuse box in the boot is practically unintelligible.

The a/c could just need re-gassing, I can get that checked. It would help if someone could confirm my questions and point to the cause of the lighter problem .

Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Jerry

EDIT: Moderators, I think I have posted in the wrong forum. Please feel free to move. Ta.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I believe power socket fuse for front sockets is in under bonnet fuse box.
Air con is probably unrelated to lower socket as it will be different fuse unless the air con fuse is also blown?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe power socket fuse for front sockets is in under bonnet fuse box.
Air con is probably unrelated to lower socket as it will be different fuse unless the air con fuse is also blown?
Thank you Johnny, I got my brain into gear and found the symbol for the sockets is the last one on the fusebox leaflet which lead me to fuse 62 under the bonnet - blown. Replaced with new 20A fuse and the sockets work again.

Pretty sure I know why it was blown. We had a caravan and used to use fridge box in the boot to keep food cool as we travelled. It's rated 12V / 50W so should only be pulling ~4A. However, the plug does get pretty hot, previously due to the light spring getting heated to the point it melted the plug body. I replaced that and with a stronger/thicker spring (which conducts the current!!) but it does still get warm. 20A though?? o_O🤔

I'm taking the car tomorrow to have the a/c gas checked/recharged. £75 ?🤔

Hopefully, I'm sorted.

Forums are really very useful and helpful.

Cheers, Jerry

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thank you Johnny, I got my brain into gear and found the symbol for the sockets is the last one on the fusebox leaflet which lead me to fuse 62 under the bonnet - blown. Replaced with new 20A fuse and the sockets work again.

Pretty sure I know why it was blown. We had a caravan and used to use fridge box in the boot to keep food cool as we travelled. It's rated 12V / 50W so should only be pulling ~4A. However, the plug does get pretty hot, previously due to the light spring getting heated to the point it melted the plug body. I replaced that and with a stronger/thicker spring (which conducts the current!!) but it does still get warm. 20A though?? o_O🤔

I'm taking the car tomorrow to have the a/c gas checked/recharged. £75 ?🤔

Hopefully, I'm sorted.

Forums are really very useful and helpful.

Cheers, Jerry
Heheheh, we ran a camping combo fridge (240vac/12vdc/gas) for years in various cars with barely an issue ... Put it in my Landrover 90 for a trip to the Lakes, it blew the electrics and set fire to the wiring just past Scotch Corner ... Apparently the connection in the Landy wasn't actually fused! Not even a small fuse, just not fused and with speaker wire (I swear it was so thin..) All OK mind, as I was used to Landrovers I broke out the 12v soldering iron, yards of wiring and terminals and sorted it enough to work for a fortnight, after which we replaced ALL the wiring!!

Mind, a few weeks after that I set fire to the engine bay bulkhead wiring while welding a body mount ... I am so glad BMW's aren't quite that bad .. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts