BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
right i'm a newb so be gentle!!! I've searched the forum for the answer to this q but i cant seem to find it....i've also searched the net but i'm getting conflicting answers, can someone in the know point me in the right direction.

1) i have just bought a 99 323i Sport Touring.....yay!!!!
It's still with the dealer whilst they correct a few things, but one thing that bugged me was the lack of a cd changer. Now i believe that the car is pre-wired................am i wrong?
2) the headunit is the standard business rds and tape unit. before i can choose to rip it out i need to know:
a) who makes the head units? (i've so far found phillips, alpine & blaupunkt?!?!?!) as it may be cheaper and easier to just buy a compatible changer
b) what are peoples opinions on this?

I dont really want to go overboard but could someone reccomend a inline store they have found to offer good prices? I only want to spend a couple of hundred max?

cheers guys, much appreciated

:)

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Hi all,
right i'm a newb so be gentle!!! I've searched the forum for the answer to this q but i cant seem to find it....i've also searched the net but i'm getting conflicting answers, can someone in the know point me in the right direction.

1) i have just bought a 99 323i Sport Touring.....yay!!!!
It's still with the dealer whilst they correct a few things, but one thing that bugged me was the lack of a cd changer. Now i believe that the car is pre-wired................am i wrong?
2) the headunit is the standard business rds and tape unit. before i can choose to rip it out i need to know:
a) who makes the head units? (i've so far found phillips, alpine & blaupunkt?!?!?!) as it may be cheaper and easier to just buy a compatible changer
b) what are peoples opinions on this?

I dont really want to go overboard but could someone reccomend a inline store they have found to offer good prices? I only want to spend a couple of hundred max?

cheers guys, much appreciated

:)

Hi there, welcome to the forum!
I amended your title to add the details needed!

To answer your questions:

1/ yes

2a/ What writing is on the head unit>? as in numbers? because like you say there are several possibles. Blaupunkt is the usual one in my experience though.

2b/ If your only wanting to spend a couple of hundred £ its 'may' a better option to buy a matching CD changer for the boot and keep the OEM head unit as they are a decent quality unit.but...

Im not 100% if your system has an amplifier seperate to the head unit or if its built in but E46 M3s have an amp in the glove box that can fail quite often (either hissing or one channel goes)

I will try and find some past threads on that tomorrow as theres been quite a few.

As a gut instinct test :hihi ...how load is the system?

if its 'darned loud' it probably has the amplifier in which case I would stay stock head unit and just add cd changer.

If theres no amp, then replacing the head unit would mean you will have to add the wiring for a different type of CD changer...
if you dont want to go to that trouble.
Stay stock all the way :thumbsup

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boostist, you are indeed a legend.......and thanks for advising that it's an e46, there's so much conflicting information out there that it's quite easy to get it wrong right from the outset by following one duff web-site etc.

When i pick the car up i'll get the numbers, test it and post back.......i was just trying to be keen and get it before i pick the car up so that i could put it in straight away....to keen! lol

anyway, thanks for your advice, genuinely asppreciated

:thumbsup

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah - cheers ronnie - so it is an e36 then?!?!?

while i'm here does anyone know whether the e36 323i sport touring will take a double din stereo????

Again - i have looked but i cant seem to find anything that says definitively YES or NO.

:frown

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lmao, it's the donut'er!!!!!!!

Yeah, slight problem in that i haven't picked it up yet.

It's coming on wednesday so i'll get the details then, but having trawled the net some more im convinced it's an e36.

I did see a crossover adapter, it claimed that you could just take out the head unit and keep all the existing wiring/speakers etc - anyone tried one of these?

anyway guys, look, thanks for your advice anyway.:thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I haven't, I'm useless when it comes to stereos :rofl, I love my music but have never gone down the stereo install route

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have an e36 and have just installed a new head unit - comes with dvd, ipod connection, analogue TV, rear vision camera connection, motorised 16:9 screen (only 4 inches though), bluetooth for your phone etc. - the works, all in a 1 din unit. Took me about 3 hours to install. 60 watts x 4 plus output for subwoofer (if you really want one).

All for $180 - less than 100 quid.

Beauty about these is you can use a flash drive (8GB ones cheap as chips now) - hence you can rip all your cds using a quality bit rate and have all you music just on the one drive. Touch screen so you can put cds in folders.

Much better option than cd changers....in my view anyways....

See attached

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I haven't, I'm useless when it comes to stereos :rofl, I love my music but have never gone down the stereo install route
Me too:lol

Picked this thread up late:rofl

4" screen, WTF??? my phone screen is bigger than that:rofl

Pioneer 7" with DVD blah blah blah:lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts