BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a problem with the heater system not working for a few days now. canstantly blowing cold air. Now the car is overheating and has just blown a pipe and sheared it clean off the radiator.

I have managed to limp the car home now and it idles very erratic and cuts out.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Morgan

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You need to bleed the cooling system once you have bought a new radiator, if you got it really hot there's a good chance you may have blown the headgasket though :eek

Bleeding the cooling system..........

1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers fro the help.

turned out it was the head. hose blown clean off the radiator and a huge plume of smoke.

the car is not worth rebuliding so it will be stripped

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Did they block test it to establish this? (head gasket sniff test)

Sorry to hear if so, they will go unfortunately if the engine gets cooked, quite often due to air being in the cooling system and the car getting carried on driven it does kill them :frown

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've basically been told by the guy looking at it that its a 95% chance of it needing skimming. he had recently done a 6 cylinder e36 with pretty much the same systems. i decided to save me money i won't bother looking into it further.

the only hint of any problems begining was the poor idle and the heater system packing in.

when i bought it originally i was going to have a compression test done but never got around to it with work commitments. for me its just one of those things that you can't control. just couldnt have happened at a worse time

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
i've basically been told by the guy looking at it that its a 95% chance of it needing skimming. he had recently done a 6 cylinder e36 with pretty much the same systems. i decided to save me money i won't bother looking into it further.

the only hint of any problems begining was the poor idle and the heater system packing in.

when i bought it originally i was going to have a compression test done but never got around to it with work commitments. for me its just one of those things that you can't control. just couldnt have happened at a worse time
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Do you intend on buying another Beemer or do you have something else in mind?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will eventually but not at the moment. i recently left the forces at probably the worst time possible so it looks like a run around until then.

i want and M3 but all i hear about is problems with the straight 6 when it comes to gasket problems.

plus i am still paying for an audi tt i had!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
i will eventually but not at the moment. i recently left the forces at probably the worst time possible so it looks like a run around until then.

i want and M3 but all i hear about is problems with the straight 6 when it comes to gasket problems.

plus i am still paying for an audi tt i had!

Sounds like you're not having much joy with cars at the moment:frown

Out of interest, what were you quoted to rectify the possible head gasket problem?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that TT was an impulse buy. a very bbad one at that.

I haven't been given a quote as i have not decided if i want to delve further into it to see the actual problem or not. any money i spend on this will be coming out oof what i have to spend on the next one. the car cost £900 and i have to weigh up if it is really worth looking into it.

fab direct have offered me another 2.8 engine for £595+VAT and 3 month warranty. I'm not sure about the miles on it however. Mine went at 140k but if i can get a engine to last 2 years in it, that will be good enough for me.

I woould prefer to have this car as i know the shell is in great condition. i don't want to pick up another car and then 2 months down the line bein the same situation.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Better the Devil you know:hihi

Head gasket quote shouldn't be as much as replacement engine. You'll have labour charges on top of that price for engine to be fitted too. Unless of course you do what I am at the moment.... Changing it myself:hihi

It may be worth having the head gasket work done and then sell it as a running car if you're still not happy:thumbsup

The other option is to break it for spares but then you need the time and the space to store everything whilst it's on auction. Then you've got postage hassles and Muppet buyers that mess you around :frown

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is the first BMW i have owned after driving my fathers. I enjoy driving them and they make you want to push it harder. i know if i step down i wont enjoy driving.

Breaking has been an option for me as FAB have offered just £100 as the engine is faullty.

i would like to get a quote on the work as the engine should be good for another 50k after iit has been fixed. if all is well with the internals.

i would like to have a go at doing the job myself. as far as i can tell the major thing is going to be the skimming of the head which i would know nothing about.

Plus i have no idea what parts would be needed for the job.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mate I had the exact same problem!! bought a 328i and the head had been cracked by the previous owner driving it when the water pump had gone. No problem....I bought a 328i alpina for £500 and took the engine out of it as it was a sweet engine with 112k on the clocks and also it was changed from nikasil to alusil at 42k miles so I know it has 70k on the engine, Anyway......you can pick up a 328i engine for as little as £150 if you can hold on for a little while till one comes up? I weighed up the cost of doing the head and finding the bottom end might be cooked aswell or just doing the engine change....the engine change worked out cheaper and thanks to the donor car my 328i sport has made me £600! well not the sport itself but the alpina I sold the bits off once I took the engine for myself, So mate if you have time and space to break a bm that you have bought for the engine then do it!!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
this is the first BMW i have owned after driving my fathers. I enjoy driving them and they make you want to push it harder. i know if i step down i wont enjoy driving.

Breaking has been an option for me as FAB have offered just £100 as the engine is faullty.

i would like to get a quote on the work as the engine should be good for another 50k after iit has been fixed. if all is well with the internals.

i would like to have a go at doing the job myself. as far as i can tell the major thing is going to be the skimming of the head which i would know nothing about.

Plus i have no idea what parts would be needed for the job.
You need a cam locking kit and loads of other stuff and also the vanos is a pain in the bum to sort. If you are just starting out tool wise then you need an outlay of around £200 for tools alone thats not including your cam locking kit

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh...and if you do buy a full car with good engine and box then you can just keep the engine and box together and slide it in to place and wallah!! Ive just about finished mine which I started a long time ago ;) ive had limited time and miles to travel to the garage it has been in so its taken longer due to it not being here at mine so I couldnt just go out and do a bit then get it done quicker. If you need any advice mate then we all would be able to help you

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
We are able to point you in the direction of guides etc but the head skimming will need to be done by professionals:thumbsup

I believe the head can be sent away for testing and rectification works if possible.

£100:eek That's a peesh take. You can see how they make their money:shifty: Just because the engine is faulty there are still many components that will be salvageable and earn a lot more money, over a thousand pounds easily:thumbsup

·
Registered
564 Posts
We are able to point you in the direction of guides etc but the head skimming will need to be done by professionals:thumbsup

I believe the head can be sent away for testing and rectification works if possible.

£100:eek That's a peesh take. You can see how they make their money:shifty: Just because the engine is faulty there are still many components that will be salvageable and earn a lot more money, over a thousand pounds easily:thumbsup
Yup a 328i can easily make you well over 1k as I have found, and that was with out the engine and box being sold

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Oh...and if you do buy a full car with good engine and box then you can just keep the engine and box together and slide it in to place and wallah!! Ive just about finished mine which I started a long time ago ;) ive had limited time and miles to travel to the garage it has been in so its taken longer due to it not being here at mine so I couldnt just go out and do a bit then get it done quicker. If you need any advice mate then we all would be able to help you

Just slide into place??? a 6 pot???:lol

We will help you as much as we can.... from our seats:rofl

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/album.php?albumid=72

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i was just on the phone to my father then who said i can keep it in the garage with a crappy runabout, and use it as my project.

and thinking about it, if i do source a new engine that wont be as hard as it may seem.

plus i'm willing to take the engine apart and get it looked at. it will give me a better understanding of the faults involved.

good advice here mind. if i was to dropa new box and engine in is there any ECU work that needs to be done?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.