BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there.had my car for a couple of months now and its been a dream til now.i was pulling away from a junction and the engine cut out without warning.i tried starting it a few minutes later it started after about 15 seconds of turning over,got home ok thinking it had cleared itself.went out just now and barely got 200 yards up the road and it did it again.i got it started again and turned back.does anyone have any suggestions to help me?could it be the fuel filter or someone told me it could have something to do with the ignition key but it does'nt have an immobilizer.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Most likely a lazy lift pump in fuel tank,did it run rough and jerk around once you got it running ?.Has it low tank level ie 1/4 tank.Lift pump will not run on hot start until engine running,when engine cold it will run when glow plugs are on and can be heard to buzz although this does not promise any fuel from it.Immobilizer would stop car and it would most likely not run until fixed.Plugged fuel filter shows up with loss of power over say 200/300 miles.Look for air in clear pipe from filter to injector pump when its running.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Look for posts made by me ,,,doug1234 quite a bit on lift pumps and the problems with them.If it is lift pump then consider a facet fast road pump,just fitted one to mine as last brand new lift pump expired at 40k.Google 'replacing lift pump with facet' and a link to vegetableoildiesel.co.uk comes up with picture how to fit and wire up guide.My last lift pump was £119 from gsf,new facet was £44 :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do i need to replace the lift pump just now or can i get away with keeping the fuel topped up for a short while?i went 4 miles with three cut-outs this morning to get fuel and since then i havn't had any problems

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sounds like lift pump 'o' ring,this affects car at 1/4 tank level letting air in.if it runs ok with more in tank then keep it topped up and it will be fine.If it gets low it can cut out again,and remember even if just above 1/4 tank that it will play up earlier if you are driving up and down hills or maybe when parked on steep slopes.Do a search of my posts or search lift pump as one thread contains info on how to replace the 'o' ring.Quite an easy job to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.