BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to these great cars, and I'm after a little help...

My E36 seems to have constant power going to the electric windows, stereo etc... Also, I don't get the buzzer go off when the driver's door opens when the lights are left on (I think it did this once when I first got the car - so I know its worked in the past)

Similarly, the centre console trip computer thingy is always lit as well as the digital clock...

I'm lead to believe that there's something wrog with the ignition switch? Not cutting the power to everything once the key's removed?

Does this sound likely?

Otherwise - any other ideas gratfuly received as I keep having to charge the battery up if I don't use the car for a couple of days...

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
You want to check the cables going into the bootlid-over time they break and can sometimes cause the symptoms you are suffering............:thumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the quick reply... I've removed the outer plastic covering on those wires, and they seem to be in good condition...

Would the fact that those are touching allow my power windows to go up anddown all the time though?

Thanks again,

Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
It causes an earth short which causes havoc with the electrics.If its not that you may want to check the switches for the alarm system as when these break they also cause similar problems-check the bonnet switch as this is one of the more common ones to go

1 - 4 of 4 Posts