BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I've not been on in a very long time.......650i was doing fine until recently

Electronic device Gadget Technology Portable communications device Electronics

Car Vehicle Electronics Technology Automotive design

Screen Electronic device Display device

It looks like i could have a throttle pedal/body/electronic wiring fault. I read it's most likely to be the plug that goes into the body

Has anyone had any dealing with this before? Can only seem to source the part from the USA, which im a bit gutted about

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill have to look into this a bit more now,

I replaced the loom plug with the BMW Repair Cable that goes onto the throttle body,

Now the pedal does pretty much nothing, in normal mode i barely get 15mph, in sport mode i get about 40mph, no errors, codes or faults just a non responsive pedal.

I left it a few hours and started it and had the same codes posted above, im tempted to go for and new throttle housing or pedal?

·
Super Moderator
3,412 Posts
The best way forward is to use INPA - you can get the live data from the pedal to see if it is producing a full scale output. You can also see the throttle butterfly opening angle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree Timm! i need to buy a laptop and all the cables and discs etc, thats going to be my next step, today im going to check the wiring, plugs at the ECU, throttle wiring etc (just to give me something to do today). Any idea what sort of laptop ill need? doesnt need to be a high spec?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So ive fixed 2 out of the 4 fault codes by fitting that repair cable, the two left are pointing to throttle position sensor at the pedal so i've ordered one up but im going away with work tomorrow so i wont know until i get back. while away ill look at laptops etc. Timm where did you get the cable and software? BaCables?

On a plus note......after fitting my alternator bracked seal......my engine is now leak free!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Memory wise it will work fine but bear in mind if you go for the newer ISTA software (which I'd recommend) I believe it needs around 140 - 160GB just for the diagnostic side of things, DIS I think wants around 40 - 60GB both dependant on setup.
If you get a top quality USB extension cable (don't use cheap) you'll be able to run diagnostics and real time data from the engine bay and under the car, this is sometimes quite handy. I'm running one of my old Panasonic Toughbooks so it doesn't matter if I'm in the rain or working in freezing temps in the winter, probably overkill for your purposes but the point is you don't need to get a new laptop, second hand will be fine preferably with windows 10.
Most places that sell the software will tell you what spec machine you need to run it and normally come with full installation instructions (which will take a while), these must be followed to the letter in order for the software to run properly.
Here's a couple of examples of vendors, if you scroll to the bottom they give the specs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-BMW...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://bcables.com/
This has the hardware requirements about half way down but it looks like they're selling DIS and ISTA/D and P only with a download link on request, I'd really rather see you go for ISTA as it's much more intuitive for a new user than DIS and you'll be able to navigate it easier but personally I'd recommend 4GB ram to run it well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Forgot to mention, some versions of ISTA sold require the faster USB3 port so read the listings carefully as you may need to factor that into laptop spec.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Hsurf,

The problem im having is finding a laptop with CD/DVD Drive as they're not installed any more. cheapest one is £800, coupled up with the software say £100 and the most expensive thing that could be wrong with my car say the throttle body, thats £500 (it could also be the pedal at £120 etc) thats £1,400 to fix it. I'd really be cheaper taking it to BMW, with their diagnostics, it'll be sorted within the houre more than likely. This is my thoughts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah my toughbook doesn't have cd drive either (don't think they do as standard), I just bought an external USB read/write drive for about £7 on ebay, that will give you the pick of whatever laptop you like. For heavens sake don't spend that sort of money on a setup as it will only get used periodically and when you have a problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Have you bought this already?? My installation and rar files alone were 50GB for ISTA and that was before extracting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no i've not bought anything just yet, im only needing one for diagnostics, my work provides me with a daily use laptop. If i buy new then i think it will last a lot longer?

·
Registered
229 Posts
no i've not bought anything just yet, im only needing one for diagnostics, my work provides me with a daily use laptop. If i buy new then i think it will last a lot longer?
It probably will last longer, in fact it will probably outlast the car. I'm guessing here but it sounds as though your going to use this just the same as I do so after the initial learning period your use of this laptop will drop right off, if you can reconcile that with the price of a new laptop then by all means buy new, I'm not saying don't buy a new one just that you need to be happy about doing it given the use it will get.
To give you an idea I use mine once a month just for check ups and then after that only when there's a problem so I've had times where its only been used 12 times in a year for about 20 mins each, it's an isolated machine meaning it doesn't connect to the net after the initial installation so no need for windows updates, no security software such as norton, mcafee etc, in fact I think the only additional programs it has is a printer driver and Office (also no need for updates here), if there's ever anything that needs to come across to the main laptop or desktop then it's transferred via USB stick and vice versa so overall, no additional software and no updates clogging it up and slowing it down.
My situation was a little different as I already had a spare toughbook sitting here, just be sure your really happy with the price your paying, you don't want to spend out on a new machine and then regret it given it's use, by the same token you may not be happy to find your using it for much more than just diagnostics and you bought a second hand machine that may clog up and slow down over time, as I mentioned above if you can reconcile a new machine purely for this purpose then absolutely go for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i see what you mean.

I doubt i'll even use it as much as you, i've had the 650i now a year and this is the only time i've needed dignostics. If i get a new one i would be inclined to use it for other things too butttttttt i really want just a laptop soley for diagnostics, i just feel a brand new laptop is just a waste for a once a year use but as you said, a second hand laptop will get slower and slower and could even pack in after a year. I'll need to think more on this. I'm still tempted just to take to BMW

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's why I'll always use either one of my old laptops or a second hand one as it gets used purely for diagnostics/servicing records etc, you only need to take the car to BMW two/three times just for the codes to be read and you've already spent the price of a second hand machine (depending on what your looking for), I knew I was going to be keeping my car for a long while so getting this setup made sense for me and has paid for itself many many times over in the 4/5 years I've had it, for me the BMW software is one of the most important and cost effective buys I made since getting the car itself.
Another way to justify it would be that the laptop itself can be used for any diagnostic software you need so even if you sell the BMW and move to another manufacturer you have a machine for the software. The trouble is there are certain things on these cars that need this software so you either get it yourself or pay through the nose at BMW every time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts