BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My otherwise-lovely 650i 2008 auto has a quirk.

I don't use it often, and short journeys are fine. After a long journey, particularly if it has been in traffic towards the end, it doesn't restart. Ignition on, brake pedal depressed and then hit the starter button... and a click from under the bonnet. Engine does not turn over at all... Just a click, which seems to come from the black plastic box on the top middle front of the V8.

Leave it to cool down... and it starts fine.

Any thoughts? My local garage plugged it in and found no faults on the system.

It first happened first on the very day I bought it, so it is going back to the garage if not easily fixed, but they don't believe me and it isn't local.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sounds like a loose earth lead to me. Breaks connection when hot, then cools down enough to touch again and fires up. Common on Porsches, not really heard of it on BMWs but the symptoms are identical.

Have a hunt around for dodgy looking earth cables, then if you can't find one take the car back and get them to sort it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
+1 on the failing starter motor. The classic scenario is stopping for petrol, then finding the car wont start when you get back into it. The car then cools down for 20 minutes (while you summon the AA) and by the time the AA turn up it's cool enough to start perfectly!

I've had two fail on me in exactly this way - albeit on two different big BMWs.

Over time the problem gets worse and worse, until eventually it won't even start when cold.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not sure if it's applicable to the OP's vehicle, or to the BMW's that you referred to Rupes, but does use of the Automatic Engine Stop/Start Function exacerbate this problem I wonder. I could well believe that it might... Personally, I turn this function off every time I start up!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good question.

I suspect the main cause of the problem is gunge build-up rather than wear and tear - though of course it could be both - and stop-start must surely wear out starter motors in double-quick time.

When I replaced my starters I took them apart to see if I could figure out what had gone wrong. The solenoids and relevant moving parts were pretty grubby.

I can't bear stop-start. the day it becomes law will probably be the day I stop driving!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts