BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am new to the forum but hoping for a quick bit of advice.
I bought a new 6 series GT yesterday. 20k miles on it. Rear pads were done by dealer 200 miles ago.
L rear disc is completely clear. R rear has an inner area of rust that I assume is because the pad isn't touching.
Dealer says he has spoken to mechanic today and says the pad surface is likely uneven and will wear down to make full contact with use. Is this a common issue with new brake pads or is it a load of crap lol? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Absolute not correct “imho”, after 200 miles it should be even wear across the disc
There is a problem with your caliper assy or the piston (Or previous wear damage by your old pads but even that is dubious as I would expect the wear line between the worn and the rusty bit to be feathered, and it is very distinctively not).

New pads have a flat contact surface (sometimes chamfered at the outer edges and most with a groove down the center (but not always).

I would speculate that the problem was previously affecting your brake prior to the new pads!? ie. Uneven pressure application.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolute not correct “imho”, after 200 miles it should be even wear across the disc
There is a problem with your caliper assy or the piston (Or previous wear damage by your old pads but even that is dubious as I would expect the wear line between the worn and the rusty bit to be feathered, and it is very distinctively not).

New pads have a flat contact surface (sometimes chamfered at the outer edges and most with a groove down the center (but not always).

I would speculate that the problem was previously affecting your brake prior to the new pads!? ie. Uneven pressure application.
Thanks for the reply. I have seen photos of the car taken prior to the new pads and both discs were immaculate so I think it must be something to do with the new rear pad install

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If it is a reputable dealer they will address the problem, hopefully? If you have evidence that the disc was worn evenly prior then it can only be an assembly/incorrect fitment. State that you are unhappy on the grounds that it is a safety issue.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That looks like a decent amount of time that disc hasn’t been ‘cleaned’ by the friction lining.

I think there’s too much corrosion there for it to clean up from driving but I’d discuss this and tell them you will discuss again in another 200miles - I doubt it will clean up completely but least you have given it them and it the benefit of the doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you think that there is too much corrosion to clean up then why advise another 200 miles!!??

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you think that there is too much corrosion to clean up then why advise another 200 miles!!??
Simply because you can prove their original statement wrong and it will be easier to force them to sort it.

If they say it will clean itself up and you say it won’t it’s just one word against another …. If you drive it for a distance and then go back and say look it’s not worked it’s and easier argument to have.

Surface corrosion should clean up in a matter of a few miles but it looks like there’s a fair amount of pitting there and truth be told that’s going to wear the pad quicker than the smooth bright metal and cause a lip that will create issues further down the line imho.

If they will do something now great if not advise them you will be going back after a few miles if it’s not sorted itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both for the advice.

I took it to a mechanic this morning. He told me it is very superficial surface rust with no disc damage and agreed I should wait another week or two to see if it clears up as the pad wears in.

Hopefully not being fobbed off but at least the car seems to be braking ok

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The rusted disc side “Is not applying the pad correctly!” That is an absolute fact.
If both sides were the same then “maybe??” there could be an argument for the rear brakes not being used forcefully enough!!?? But even on a good day that is not correct especially if you have driven over 200 miles!
Not my car though, good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts