BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a 54 reg E46 SE 330d Touring. Beautiful car, and I absolutely love it.

However, theres a few tiny niggles I'd like to sort out.

The bluetooth pairing. I don't seem to have the documentation for the PIN number. How can I reset/retrieve this, and if I need to go to a dealer, how much will it cost?

The CD player: It doesnt seem to play CD's. When you put one in and hit CD it pushes the nav panel back down and it says 'CD TR' on the display, but doesn't play it. Is this broken, or am I being stupid? If it's broken, how much is it likely to cost to fix.

The TV: Sometimes I have amazing quality, other times its quite fazy. Is this normal, or would a bigger aerial help?

Fuel: Should I be using normal or high octane diesel, or does it not really matter?

Thanks for all your help. I love being a BMW owner :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, does anybody know if its possible to use the bluetooth connectivity to play songs from an MP3 player or whatever through the car speakers/stereo system..

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
no mate you cannot play mp3 via bluetooth from your phone (for example). I have not got a MP3 player with bluetooth (except for the phone) but I am guessing it would be the same.

The only work around is an aux in port or a mp3 transmitter (to a radio frequency).

As for your TV questions I have no experience with that sorry, hopefully someone else can shed some light.

Fuel - no you don't "have to" use higher octane fuel but it's a personal preference with negligible results..... A remap may be a better way to go but that's another thread! In short if you can afford go for it but don't expect a massive difference.

I'll have a look at your questions tomorrow when I recover from way too many whiskies! :) oh and welcome to the club dude.

One last question before I pass out - do you have i drive at all? Red :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
The bluetooth pairing. I don't seem to have the documentation for the PIN number. How can I reset/retrieve this, and if I need to go to a dealer, how much will it cost?
Two ways you can do this yourself :

1) look on the bluetooth module itself, it's a bit of a bugger to get to in the E46 touring, it's located behind the Sat Nav/CD Changer module, behind the black sound insulation and in between the inner and outer skin of the rear quarter panel.

2) Use a program called NavCoder and a Resler iBus interface connected to the CD Changer iBus connection to read the number from the ULF.

The CD player: It doesnt seem to play CD's. When you put one in and hit CD it pushes the nav panel back down and it says 'CD TR' on the display, but doesn't play it. Is this broken, or am I being stupid? If it's broken, how much is it likely to cost to fix.
Sounds like it's broken, about £350 for a replacement monitor on e-bay, a lot more from a dealer.

The TV: Sometimes I have amazing quality, other times its quite fazy. Is this normal, or would a bigger aerial help?
It's normal. TV reception in a vehicle is poor unless you are in a very good signal area.

Fuel: Should I be using normal or high octane diesel, or does it not really matter?
Diesel has a Cetane rating not Octane, I never found a huge benefit in using the likes of BP ultimate, but always used it anyway! It makes the engine run a little quieter as acts as a better lubricant on the high preasure side of the fuel system and reduces smoke slightly due to better burn characteristics. I'd say either use it all the time to reduce wear on the engine internals or don't bother at all, occasional use is of little benefit.

Great car the 330d Touring, I managed 65mpg out of mine one one 220 mile trip, not bad for a 155 mph estate car that I measured at 5.9 seconds 0-60 (it had an engine re-map).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Two ways you can do this yourself :

1) look on the bluetooth module itself, it's a bit of a bugger to get to in the E46 touring, it's located behind the Sat Nav/CD Changer module, behind the black sound insulation and in between the inner and outer skin of the rear quarter panel.

2) Use a program called NavCoder and a Resler iBus interface connected to the CD Changer iBus connection to read the number from the ULF.
Thanks, I might have a go at that.

Sounds like it's broken, about £350 for a replacement monitor on e-bay, a lot more from a dealer.
Will I really need a new monitor too? :( The monitor works fine, just the lil cd player behind it that doesn't seem to read CD's. Ouch :(

edit: CD player has started working now!!

It's normal. TV reception in a vehicle is poor unless you are in a very good signal area.
I've sorted that out now; getting a very watchable good signal the majority of the time :)

Diesel has a Cetane rating not Octane, I never found a huge benefit in using the likes of BP ultimate, but always used it anyway! It makes the engine run a little quieter as acts as a better lubricant on the high preasure side of the fuel system and reduces smoke slightly due to better burn characteristics. I'd say either use it all the time to reduce wear on the engine internals or don't bother at all, occasional use is of little benefit.
Mmm, I'll go with standard diesel!

Great car the 330d Touring, I managed 65mpg out of mine one one 220 mile trip, not bad for a 155 mph estate car that I measured at 5.9 seconds 0-60 (it had an engine re-map).
Nice, where did you get that remapped, and how much did it cost? Was yours the e46 204bhp version too?

Thanks for the detailed answers and help :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.