BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a 2002 530d se auto 120k miles full service history very well looked after one owner car regular servicing.

Owned the car for six months and 10k miles with no issues and enjoyed the power from kick down however about 4k miles ago on hard kick down from standstill just as the car normally changes from 1st-2nd gear at high revs car juddered or surged and would not change up !

Then was ok and done it again week later !

Gradually got worse now car will drive fine and change through the gears as long as you apply gentle pressure to accelerator as soon as you kick it down judders, Also now on occasion more so when engine warm foot to the floor no revs allowing 25 mph.

Have a friend who works at BMW as a chief technician who kindly put it on the computer showed no fault code, He gave me software update but without further triald error investigation does not have a clue.

Car was almost perefct again 95% now worse than ever.

Sometimes a smell of fumes in cabin when starting/switching off engine.

I have heard possible explanations on here as Maf Sensor, Cracked Manifold etc does anyone have any ideas ??

Would be really greatful for any advice, Tempted to stick a MAF new Sensor in but at £120 a piece bit of a gamble.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Russ530D2002 - please take a look at the thread entitled "E39 530D Gearbox problem , Is It Terminal" - you may want to give Russell a call -

·
Registered
90 Posts
You need to try and get a live test done when the vehicle is running, a good BMW specilist should do this. It could well be to do with the fuel injection system some where, although the MAF would probably show up as a fault code straight away. The First thing to do is check all manifolds, breathers, pipes etc... for cracks splits and holes. Don't waste money on parts like MAF if its just a guess at this stage.

The smell of fuel would make you think it has nothing to do with the gear box and a fuel mixture issue would be to blame. There is three magnetic pick-up sensors, Crank, speed and Cam either of these could give you symptons like you have. Also the Throttle position sensor ,which also feeds the ECM info, if it functions incorrectly will give spurious readings to the ECM causing incorrect fuelling responses.

They would be my first suspisions, mainly the throttle position sensor, As you said you nail your foot down the problem occours, the sensor plays up at this part. Have you checked the throttle body itself to make sure its clean?

But try and get live results some how.

Have a look at this thread to.. http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f15/1999-e39-530d-turbo-options-and-lack-of-t6786/

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts