BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently having problems with my 5 series diesel. The battery has been running flat overnight and I have found that there is a drain of 5-7 amps even after the interior lights etc have turned off. During the drain a fan can be heard running from the passenger wheel arch area.the fan stops if the bonnet/doors are slammed shut but can restarts if they are slammed again. Aquick search on google shows that this ia a fault other people have had but I canno find a sensible answer to the problem? Before I start stripping the wheel arch I was hoping one of you guys could point me in the right direction? I would assume that it is the heater fan running but I would have also assumed that the heater fan is situated behind the centre of the dash?? I have seen mention of an auxillary fan but am unsure what this is??

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could be anything,Mate I had the identical symptoms turned out to be the remote cable to my amplifiers.However I would suggest checking the door switches and boot switch first.Basically it looks like a push button-if its broken then it doesn't break the contact when the door or boot is closed so the car thinks its open constantly-On my car the alarm beeps twice for closed if it beeps four times when I press the button to lock then I know one of these switches isn't working.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No still not sorted

Hi again. No, I have still to find the cause of the fault. The car has been ok for the past week but I am 100% sure that the fault will reoccur. After doing a few searches I am starting to think that the fault is related to the Webasto heater. Other people have had the same fault where the webasto heater/fan has been running constatntly or is triggered by openeing or closing a door/bonnet etc.

I am unable to find a sensible rectification other than to remove fuse 47 from the boot which I dont really want to do. Unfortunately I cannot get the noise to reoccur at present so it is difficult to diagnose without a bit of advice from you guys. Hope this rings a bell with some of you!!

I can get the noise to happen when the ignition is on and for short time after it is switched off. During this time I have completely removed the heater resistor (Hedgehog) but the noise is still there.

Anymore help would be great. I will keep going to the car today and will hopefully get the webasto to run again.

will let you know thanks again Sam

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update. went out to the car again and got the noise to re-occur by openeing and closing the drivers door, I could feel cool air being pushed out the Webasto exhaust on the underside of the car (no diesel fumes and cool air only). I removed fuse 47 which has stopped the webasto heater from running just to ensure thet the battery no longer goes flat. Any ideas on a more permanent fix would be great.
also i have re-checked the current draw with fuse 47 removed and found that it is back to what it should be.

Thanks Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.