BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all ,changed my engine breather for "new modified type" now i believe its best to change back to original foam type due to crankcase pressure,anyone had any problems with modified one on here? mine seems ok although only been fitted for about 1000 miles,what should i do stick or change back ,cheers:confused

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi gazz, sorry I can't help you with your query, but I wonder if you would mind me asking you for some advice? I had a look this morning at what is involved in tackling this job, (2005 E60), and after dismantling most of the necessary pieces, I thought it would be a lot easier if I could remove the engine-bay support arm - did you have to do this? (It looks as though it may be necessary in order to replace the inlet manifold filter, but I'm not too sure whether or not it's under any "tension").

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi eddie,yes i did remove the support arms,and it was quite an easy job all bolted back on exactly the way it came off,im no mechanic but i try to have a go,if i can do it im sure you can ,good luck.

·
Registered
865 Posts
be carefull need to disconnect 2 of the leak off pipes on injectors to remove breather, they very easy to snap and if you do you be in the shit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gazz, I called into our main dealer to-day to get my c.c.breather. He looked up the part number, (according to my Chassis/Serial Number), and then handed me the "modified" type. I queried this, and stated that I would prefer the foam type, but he assured me that the "modified" type was a direct replacement for the original one fitted to the car. He also mentioned that there are about four different types in all, but the part I was given was the correct one. Providing it is a direct replacement, which I wont know until I dismantle the old one, I'll be quite happy to go ahead and fit it. (I'm sure if that particular type wasn't up to the job, BMW would have removed it from sale).
Incidentally, did you find that your original one was identical to the new one?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi eddie,i have been intouch with bmw myself today and they assured me that they are still fitting modified type and are doing away with foam type,i think it did look pretty much the same..maybe slightly different but fitted on the same,i found it very easy to fit,next im going to be brave and tackle removing swirl flaps from inlet manifold as i believe if they break off and get sucked in can be fatal for the engine,cheers

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
hi eddie,i have been intouch with bmw myself today and they assured me that they are still fitting modified type and are doing away with foam type,i think it did look pretty much the same..maybe slightly different but fitted on the same,i found it very easy to fit,next im going to be brave and tackle removing swirl flaps from inlet manifold as i believe if they break off and get sucked in can be fatal for the engine,cheers
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lu70-X5brj0

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/bmw-e46-diesel-info-t5537/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts