BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys;

I have a stripped out E36 318 shell (M reg) and have two options - one is to run it as a 1.8 and maybe throw some sort of turbo unit on it (runnning low boost, an air cooled turbo and a small intercooler - dont care if it pops the engine - its for testing / messing around in).

I do however have an E34 525 (M50) H reg as a complete donor car as well.....So the second and preferred option:-

I want to spend a weekend throwing the engine from the E34 into the E36....

Could somebody in the know advise -
1) Will the engine and gearbox mounts line up for a direct bolt in?
2) Will the propshaft run into the E36 diff? or do I need to take the E34 diff as well - if so will it match the hubs etc? (the E34 diff is a welder :) )

Basically I am hoping to find out if I can get the M50 into the E36 over a weekend and have it running without having to buy much more than maybe a new exhaust.

Any comments / advice would be appreciated.
(I am aware of the EWS stuff - looks like it matches up ???)

Cheers

Procrastinator

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the M50 block is used in E36's (as an M52) so the engine and gearbox will physically fit as far as I'm aware (though I haven't done the swap myself).

I'd be surprised if the engine mounts line up though, I'd have thought BMW would need more substantial mounts for the bigger engine. But in any case, having the mount's and prop etc modded for the bigger engine (assuming modding is required) would be alot cheaper than buying and fitting a turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if the mounts from the 5 series will swap over with the M50 into the E36? (no idea myself).

With the turbo effort, I can grab a used tubby and intercooler for £100 (local scrappy) - my plan then would be to get a manifold fabricated and some intercooler pipes and just throw it in at around 5PSi to see what happens (the E36 was free so it doesnt matter if it breaks). -> I dont know nearly enough, but learn by doing is probably the way forward

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The sump will need changing on the e34 m50 engine as the e34 sump sits forward of the crossmember where as the e36 m50 is rear.

e34 Engine mounts are different but "can" be made to fit, the e36 mounts are hydraulically dampened where as e34s aren't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool beans - thats for the info guys!

Suppose I will get a bit more research done before I start removing bits and pieces!

Sounds like going the turbo route will be easier:confused

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Cool beans - thats for the info guys!

Suppose I will get a bit more research done before I start removing bits and pieces!

Sounds like going the turbo route will be easier:confused
Depends if you have a spare 8 grand laying around not doing anything:hihi

Personally the bigger lump would be my choice... but that indeed does not mean it's the right one. I'll encourage anyone to turbo their motor so long as they know they can afford it and they get it done properly:thumbsup

·
Banned
478 Posts
Plenty of eaton superchargers from a mini cooper s in scrapyards, im sure with planning, a supercharger can be hammered on to the 1.8. You will need to make -

Mounting bracket,
fabricate induction mounts
hoses
there will be a belt that will fit
and the most expensive bit... after market ECU.

I reckon this can be acheived for arount £1000, cheaper if you can weld!

Personally, i'd supercharge, it works well on a revvy engine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.