BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Guys, im new on the forum. basically my problem is i've just bought a new 1995 520i se auto, to use as a host for my old 520 Engine (same year and model) after my old one sufferd some bad body damage in an accident. i brought the new car to Huddersfield where i currently am staying however it needs to be at my home in newcastle (130ish miles away) where the other one is for transplant, but unfortunatly the new car started overhating the other day, and it looks like (from experience with another E34 of mine) that the head gasket has gone.

so my question is can i drive it from huddersfield to newcastle without it blowing up and killing myself? bearing in mind the engine will just be scrapped when i put the new one in?

or do i need a trailer?

i'd really appreciate any help guys, i know it can warp the head, but like i said i dont mind as long as i get there and it dosent damage any other components i.e radiator etc.

Thanks Guys
Ross

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
DO NOT DRIVE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

It will have detrimental effects on the engine if it already hasn't:thumbsup

·
Banned
478 Posts
it won't last mate...if it dont cut out due to cracking the head, the oil temperature will rise and cause the engine to sieze quicker they you can imagine... An over heated engine is game over... if it had been 5 miles down the road, id say if you aint worried about the engine, go for it, but 130 miles... no way...
You could always get breakdown cover with a relay service, then when it breaks down, you get a free lift...;)

Reactions: BeastE34

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
When I had my Mondeo I chanced it coming home from work one evening, bearing in mind it was 78 miles and I was almost half way home.

The engine seized good and proper and there was a plume of smoke/steam that actually made it dangerous for other cars travelling on the motorway:yikes

·
Banned
478 Posts
Or like me in a similar situation, i had a con rod go through the side of the engine on my sierra 2.8!:eek

TAP TAP TAP..

BANG!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the hoses go really hard? and over heated while driving or when stationary?
The First time it over heated was after a short 3 mile drive. i had got back and was just having a look under the hood to see if anything needing doing, when i turned around and saw a huge cloud of steam burst from somewhere, and i saw the temp gauge shoot right up so i shut it off. naturally first thing i looked for was a burst hose or leak in the radiatior, but i found nothing. now it over heats after just 10mins of idleing, i also checked the thermostat and its working fine. however after inspecting under the car today i have found what looks like an oil leak at the back of the engine (possible from the cracked head or broken cylinder?) thanks for the advice by the way, i kinda saw it coming to be honest, hence why the car hasen't moved since it happened. i know my mechanics well enough to know it shouldn't work,and what not to do... but after all i have seen the E34 do i thought i might get lucky;) i guess i will just get my friend to bring his trailer down, no worries really just more hassle, but worth it in the end.

Thanks Everyone BTW for all the great feedback, i knew my instincts were right, but its nice to have some backup! so thanks alot!!!:thumbsup

i will have too keep you all posted as the project unfolds, should be nice when its done. its a rare color for an E34 too in Techno Violet.

Cheers:thumbsup:)
Ross

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you bled the cooling system?

How to bleed the cooling system.
1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you bled the cooling system?

How to bleed the cooling system.
1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.
hey guys! No i haven't tried that yet, i was going to but then i saw all the oil that had leaked at the back of the enigine and thought it might be more than just the cooling system :frown, and it smokes at the back now when its warmed up too, but i think thats just the leaked oil burning on the manifold. so what do you think? should i still have a go at bleeding? if so then i'll give it a go as soon as i get a chance and let you know how it goes.
:thumbsup

Cheers again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it won't last mate...if it dont cut out due to cracking the head, the oil temperature will rise and cause the engine to sieze quicker they you can imagine... An over heated engine is game over... if it had been 5 miles down the road, id say if you aint worried about the engine, go for it, but 130 miles... no way...
You could always get breakdown cover with a relay service, then when it breaks down, you get a free lift...;)

GREAT NEWS!!! just like you suggested, i just checked my AA cover and found i have Relay cover :thumbsup so if i can't sort my mates trailer then im covered anyway!!! cheers for the idea Mighty_5series!!! i would have completley forgot about that if you hadn't said. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts