·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was: 518 or 1.8T Passat? Now: Just bought a 1996 Facelift 520i SE

i know yo lot will be biased but need a hand picking my next car

1996 N 518 ISE 101000 FBMWSH MOT OCT NO TAX

1997 P PASSAT 1.8 T FVWSH MOT APRIL NO TAX

Both roughly same price same to insure same to tax. Both have under 3 owners. Which is better bang for buck? Fuel consumption etc!

ThaNKS Ben

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The BMW will be more reliable, robust, but they are slow.

The Audi would leave the E34 standing, but they can be dogs if you get a bad one.

VW will probably be better for fuel as well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What are you buying the car for (work commute/shops and back etc?). I see you are driving a 318i just now - do you like it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my 318 was scrapped today :( it will be mainly for commuting around 9 miles down a bypass to work. 525 are guzzlers are they not? And i cannot find a tidy diesel by me for under £1000 both cars im looking at are under £500.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im after ecomony on a buget really. mrs just lost her job so im after something reliable, not too thursty, cheap and cheerful but safe for my 4 year old daughter

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would probably agree with 'rumpleforeskin'. Bimmer or VW could be slighly tricky in terms of general maintenance and servicing. If you are cost cutting... Ford/Vauxhall...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
A BMW E34 is reliable, not a massive amount that goes wrong with them, and if you ask most E34 owners they will probably tell you they are sturdy and don't give up easy at all.

But the 518i isn't remotely quick compared to the Audi, and it's not great on the gas due to the weight of the car.

I'd say a E34 518i is more reliable than a Vectra. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
both these cars are £500. Cheapest vectra by me is 795 1.8 with 129k on it so realistically id go with either of these as they both have FSH and just over 100k! As for maintenance im handy with spanners and wouldnt mind spending extra on parts for a better quality more reliable car. Also in my local scrappy there are 5 518s one with full leather and 8 passats.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Check out the insurance? I'll wager there's a fair bit of difference?.....The 518 has only got c130 bhp I believe.......the VW is around 180?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check out the insurance? I'll wager there's a fair bit of difference?.....The 518 has only got c130 bhp I believe.......the VW is around 180?

Yeah passat is 150bhp. And passat is cheaper by £117
A year. And the folder is full of receipts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Replacement of the waterpump on the passat is not a service item, although it really needs to be - plastic impellor on metal shaft!!! On my Leon the pump failed at about 40k, so was replaced under warranty for another guaranteed-to-fail-at-some-point pump.

With the turbo in the Passat, it will have a healthy amount of torque - not tyre shredding, but enough. Engine is also chippable should you need the extra grunt at any point!

Passat is also timing belt, which is a labour intensive job to do (whole front of the car has to come off). I believe the BMW will be timing chain? Could be worth factoring in.

I had a Mk 2 Mondeo for a year a few years back, bought as a banger with over 100k on the clock, put another 30k on it. In that year the only maintenance it required were a new set of glow plugs and a rear brake cylinder (as well as fresh oil & filters at service time). Decent, comfortable cars those Mk 2's, especially the Ghia X like I found! Parts dirt cheap too! On the forums there are plenty, petrol & diesel, which have covered well over 200k miles.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i have had vauxhalls nearly all the time i have been driving!, they are not unrealiable!, the only faults on the 4 pots are sensors, which can be fixed and replaced for pennies!, all parts are cheap. i must have owned at least 20 different vauxhalls and non cost me anywhere near what the bm has!, but thats because i only put the best on!
my car would be an astra, look ok, great space in hatch form, good engines and built well!, (there is a reason ford and vauxhall are rep mobiles) many have space milage and are still going strong!
ps bmw parts are bosch, the good 1s, and all the vauxhalls i had had bosch under the hood!, police also used to swear by vauxhall to, the 80s and 90s cars had bulit proof lumps!,then the ecowrek engines came in and the sensors became an annoyance, but as said cheap and easy to sort!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lots of comments giving the good and bad for both vehicles... What are you swaying towards? What in your eyes are the good and bad points for both cars?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Passat could cost you quite abit if something happens ie, water pump, map sensor, dodgy coils, turbo. All sorts can go wrong but its up to you to make your mind up.

I'd take the bmw not because i'm biased :hihi but because it looks/built abit more solid if you're going to have little ones in the back.

Rog - i'm not 100% sure but I think the early bmw's came with timing belts..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts