BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay just got off the phone to a mate of mine who is trying to obtain feedback about a fault on his mates X5.

Here are the details he's given me...

BMW X5 51 plate (He thinks) 3.0litre diesel sport with 100,000 miles plus on the clock.

When the engine is running (regardless of temp) a tapping can be heard from the top of the engine, just a single tap that will speed up when the revs are increased. He assured me it's not a rattle or series of taps.

His immediate thoughts are that a single tappet has gone.

The vehicle has been regularly serviced. One of which was around a couple of thousand miles.

The question asked is... Is it likely that a tappet could have gone?

German Swedish stock the parts which indicates to him that this could be a probable cause?

As he is a lorry driver(ex mechanic) he would like to know as much about likely causes to such problems so he can tackle the fault fully armed and not have to mess about replacing oil just to find the problem comes back.

All help and advice welcomed:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it to be as the vehicle is not owned by myself and it is not owned by my mate either:thumbsup

·
Registered
478 Posts
If it's diesel could it be the breather valve is loose? Has he also checked the rocker cover for loose bolts etc. sometimes it is the most boring things that are wrong.... I assume he has access to the car?

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.