BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a 14-15 plate 435i convertible and I have seen this below which ticks all the boxes except it has 20” Alloys and I would rather 19s as I think the 20s won‘t ride so we’ll and are more for show. There are probably other threads on here about this if I look and I could get the car and change them when I have the cash but the question I have for here is I notice the tyres on the rear are 265/30ZR20 but the book says they should have 255/30R20. By my calculations that makes the tyre wall 3mm higher, will that cause any issues if I keep them on there for a while? Should I get the dealer to replace them as part of the sale? I don’t really know enough about tyres so advice would be helpful.

I would be keen to here thoughts and experience on 20” v 19” Wheels as well.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109016873415
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
47 Posts
I’m running the stock 19” rear wheels on my 2017 440i, 255/35/19 (if my memory serves me well). I find them absolutely fine, even on the run flat tyres. I think the 265 are standard on those M3/4 competition wheels, but as you say, not correct for the 435i.

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
47 Posts
I’d imagine that will run quite firm on those wheels, the suspension will be quite different between the two models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks it is what I’m thinking as well. The car is done for show not driving. I didn’t think about the M wheels coming with that size tyre but yes that makes sense. Those wheels are wider as well so I wonder if the spacing has been changed as well.

·
Registered
2017 F32 440i MSport
47 Posts
If they are genuine M wheels they are worth a few grand, but probably reps. What tyres have they put on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just looking at the pictures they are Michelin on the rear and Pirelli P Zeros on the front.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rear tyres are stretched on rims, most likely you will need 275/30/20, they should sit very flush with body work and Yes there not original tyre/wheel fitment for the car but doesn't mean you can't have it, fill the arches up a bit ;)

Just to add regards the ride quality as I have 20" fitted believe it or not is not bad can feel bit harsh on poor quality road but been honest anything over 18" wheel size feels like that to me, I was thinking about dropping to 19" my self when bought this car but decided to keep them now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rear tyres are stretched on rims, most likely you will need 275/30/20, they should sit very flush with body work and Yes there not original tyre/wheel fitment for the car but doesn't mean you can't have it, fill the arches up a bit ;)
lol true but I like driving the car as opposed to just it looking good and I think original 4 Series 19s would handle better and still look good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
lol true but I like driving the car as opposed to just it looking good and I think original 4 Series 19s would handle better and still look good.
can always sit on cushion ;), can I ask why do you think it would handle better??? on a serious note lot of traders/owners do put reps on cars to make them look better and the quality of the wheel is questionable is well been honest, I'm not fun of reps for that reason alone, all them diamond cut faces looks great until you get a clear coat problem and alloy corrosion

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can always sit on cushion ;), can I ask why do you think it would handle better??? on a serious note lot of traders/owners do put reps on cars to make them look better and the quality of the wheel is questionable is well been honest, I'm not fun of reps for that reason alone, all them diamond cut faces looks great until you get a clear coat problem and alloy corrosion
Well I’m only going on what I have read on the forums to be honest but it makes sense the ride would be harder and the general opinion is they wouldn’t drive as well but my question was more about should I be concerned with it having wheels that aren’t really designed for the vehicle.. I’m probably going to look at the car, it’s clearly been well looked after and had lots of bits done to it including a performance exhaust by BMW so I think that the previous owner didn’t scrimp on the car but I do plan to use it to replace my 54 plate 350 SLK which we use for weekends away and days out with the wife and she always moaned about the ride comfort of that on long distances. I can put up with her moaning to be fair but I don’t want to get a car that doesn’t drive as well as it could do. I went for looks over practically with the wife I don’t want to do that with the car 😉😂

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went for looks over practically with the wife I don’t want to do that with the car 😉😂
LOL, been honest I was thinking my wife would moan about the ride been bit harsh but been honest she was amazed how the car handles corners or even roundabounds, she don't get chucked around in bends anymore so just puts up with the odd bump ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL well I will speak to my local alloys place and see what the cost of changing them will be but I’ll test drive it and see what I think, I might actually find it ok. My SLK is a hard drive anyway so it’s not like I’m used to bouncy comfy cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There was good set of 442 19" staggered sold on ebay with michelin tyres for £595 recently, but if you decide to buy the car and keep the wheels I would suggest check the the rim width, mine had stretched tyres on front and within 20 miles I decided they had to come off and fitted correct size tyre.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer has quite high ratings so I might use that to negotiate on the price or get them to put the right tyres on them. Thx.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just found this it would appear that the rear tyre is actually the size for the M4 front tyre so might not be stretched.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is not just about tire width, if the rim is 10J wide on rear and tyre is 265 this will be stretched, not by much but enough to notice it. Hard to tell by the pic been honest, I will be taking my wheels off tomorrow and will check if my rims are 10J or 9.5J and will send you some pic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh thanks I appreciate that, I am realising I really don’t know much about wheels/tyres on cars it would seem apart from there are four of them and they are round 😂

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't worry I didn't know much until friend of mine who have tyre business explained few things to me.

·
Registered
'04 330d Sport Auto, '99 523i SE Saloon
617 Posts
If you swap down to 19s, you'll probably save yourself a fair few quid come tyre change time. I don't even want to think about how much a pair of premium 285/30/20s must cost! :oops:
19s will also be less vulnerable to curb and pothole damage. An increasingly common problem as manufacturers continue to fit larger and larger wheels with less and less tyre to protect them.
I expect they will be genuine BMW competition wheels (but do confirm this with the dealer) and therefore worth quite a few ££££s. Saying that, the car does seem a tad overpriced IMO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts