BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice from any 335i owners. After much deliberation I've set my heart on a lightly used 335i M Sport Coupe, but am really not sure about whether to go for an auto or a manual.

The main criteria for me is how involving / enjoyable / fun each would be to drive. I've had a number of coupes in the past, all manual, and never considered an auto. Manual 335i Coupes seem to be much rarer than autos too (at least as far as dealers are concerned) - albeit this could just mean that those who have manual versions hang on to them?

With most of the 335is I see at dealers being autos, I have also thought about resale / forced sales values, but more importantly how long it might take to sell - I get the impression that autos are much more sought after than manuals?

I have test driven an auto which was very nice, and will test drive a manual when I can find one, but I'd really appreciate any comments from forum members who have maybe considered the same question.

(I am going to pile on the miles at around 20k per year, commute 100 miles per day on a combination of motorways and country roads, and will also use the car for some long trips with the family).

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you gay or a man? When you decide on that then you will know what to choose.
Wow the first post a read and its abusive towards a really sensible question :sarcastic

I must have an automatic (SMG allowed) due to the fact i am disabled and unable to use my left arm. So through your logic i am gay?? :confused

Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tom. Agree with your points about resale and ease of finding a suitable car.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has used the BMW auto 'box in "manual" mode with the steering wheel mounted paddles - is it as much fun to use as a real manual? Can you hang on to each gear to get the same buzz from revving the engine as you would with a manual - or does the auto keep stepping in and changing up for you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Tom. Agree with your points about resale and ease of finding a suitable car.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has used the BMW auto 'box in "manual" mode with the steering wheel mounted paddles - is it as much fun to use as a real manual? Can you hang on to each gear to get the same buzz from revving the engine as you would with a manual - or does the auto keep stepping in and changing up for you?
The paddle shifters are really good, the gear will not change up but will change down automatically at slower speeds. i assume you can change the ferosity of gear change too :)

The full auto on mine at A3 is a little pants but putting it in A4/5 gives you a little more rev range to play with and a better gear change.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have the lever style SMG on mine, and rarely use it, but when I do it is great fun, had the paddle shift on a hire car and it was total rubbish, but several have told me they felt that way, until they got used to it properly.....

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
go for an auto man. . I've got a triptronic, dnt use the manual gear func at all once u get used to the auto gear change . . . much easier and the comfort makes u think if the effort of changing gears mannually is really worth :- )

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
for me i like having the control of a clutch so would always pick a manual over an auto. as far as resale goes it may be easier to sell than an auto but the resale value will be higher on a manual.
if you are only driving motorways and country roads why would you want an auto, you'll hardly be changing gear that much anyway.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Auto.

Not only because you are doing a lot of miles but the engine is better suited to an auto box which on modern cars are very trick. I am now a converted auto fan. Also as ina turbocharged car, with teh qauto box, you don't loose boost between gear changes, so actuyally on teh road under general conditions they are faster and more relaxing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I dunno, if I was to get a nice sporty coupe I'd have a hard time getting an auto. The fact that there are so few on the market right now may mean that the resale value in the future will be much higher.

In the end it comes down to personal preference... but as I'm fast approaching 30 I'm trying to do things that make me feel younger (i.e. manual versus auto).

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
if you look at the vehciles for sale in autotrader, seclect 335i, then selct transmission, there is significantly more autos and manuals are rarer.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused
Sorry about the short reply earlier I was busy decorating the house and was very annoyed with the first reply left on this thread.

I myself own an automatic but thats because I do shed loads of mileage and the amount of time I spend in traffic. Yes the manual is a little bit quicker but the auto's are not slow.

I test drove a golf GTi for my brother in law a few days ago and after driving it I would have that over a manual anyday. I'm not sure if the 335i has the paddle shift gearbox but if its a double clutch system then I would say buy an auto over a manual. But in all honesty I would always recommend a test drive in both versions before buying a car unless like me you prefer the auto's over the manuals.

Also apologies for the comment from the very shallow minded individual on this forum. It was a perfectly logical question. Fortunately comments like that are rare and we do have a good following on this forum so don't be discouraged by the childish behaviour of one member who clearly has issues of his own to deal with.

I dunno, if I was to get a nice sporty coupe I'd have a hard time getting an auto. The fact that there are so few on the market right now may mean that the resale value in the future will be much higher.

In the end it comes down to personal preference... but as I'm fast approaching 30 I'm trying to do things that make me feel younger (i.e. manual versus auto).
Maybe its because buyers prefer the drive of the auto over the manual??? Also I have a mate who purchased a 335ci last year and he wanted to trade it in for a convertible but changed his mind when he was told how much he would be offered for his car. I think people are holding on to their 335's because they are not prepared to take the loss that their cars have unfortunately suffered in the last few months.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
Technically the Golf GTI SMG is quicker than the manual............... that makes you think, well it did me.... search youtube for a great Japanese video.......

Tom
After driving it I can see why, My brother in law did not want an auto golf gti until I mentioned that the DSG gearbox is supposed to be fantastic. After he sat in it he changed his mind and wanted the auto.

Do BMW make a double clutch auto gearbox?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Go for the auto.

Mine has the paddles, and yes they are fairly easy to get used to, but to be honest the engine is such a torque monster, it's just as enjoyable to leave it in drive.

If you really fancy a bit of fun then the paddles are quite intuitive.

I specifically wanted an Auto so love it.

My apologies for the first reply you had, it is not typical of the guys on here, but makes a change from that respondee suggesting you change every lubricant in the vehicle, lol,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.